PDA

View Full Version : Anvils I made the patterns for

george wilson
11-27-2010, 10:47 PM
These are a couple of 300# anvils I made the casting patterns for. They are in the Anderson Blacksmith shop in Col. Williamsburg. Before they had these,they used modern anvils.

The one on the stump was one I copied and enlarged from a smaller early anvil. I carved it out of soft pine,and made its surface irregular so it would look hand forged. This was in the late 70's,and there are several of them in the blacksmith's shop,in daily use since then. There is even the tell-tale gob of metal beneath the horn to simulate where it was welded on,like the original had.

They were cast in a foundry in Texas from 4140 steel,and the tops were ground,and they were hardened. No sign of wear yet.

The unfinished one was one I was working on in pine when I retired. It is an earlier model(both are 18th.C. types),which has a 5th. foot,and a rather strange,small horn. It was cast in Newport News,but they have not yet ground the top,or hardened it. They also made the hardy hole too large for some reason. It was submitted as a sample,and corrections will be made.

Very early anvils had "church windows" on their sides. The vestigial 5th. foot is a leftover from this earlier form.

Maybe Harry can chime in and elaborate on the church window anvils.

I never got one of the earlier anvils for myself,being in a smaller house at the time. The foundry closed down,and the pattern got lost after I spent about 2 weeks getting it just right for the Master blacksmith. Hopefully they will keep better track of this pattern.

I don't know if I'll try to get one of the latest anvils. I already have a nice anvil,and these are sure to cost over $1000.00 (probably way over) by the time they are done. Plus,I don't like the smallish horn. I liked the first anvil better. THEY WON'T be sold to the general public. It is a lot of trouble persuading anyone to cast and grind them,more in the nature of a favor to Williamsburg.

These have to be cast,as there is no way to get a forged anvil made anymore,with welded on face. It takes special facilities to make large forgings like these,and a waterfall to quench them. It is way beyond what a normal blacksmith's shop can handle. Cranes,large tilt hammers,great big forges,waterfall,etc. are needed.

However,once in use and a little patina,they look just like originals,unless you can get a foot away,and know what to look for.

The chain is tight,holding the anvil down to the stump so it doesn't ring. Mine is set up that way,too. Other anvils might have to be damped some other way. Ringing anvils deafen the smith over time,so,they do not want ringing.

Andrew Recher
11-27-2010, 11:53 PM
George,
Those are great pics. It's obvious that style of anvil was made for some serious use, with all that mass. My 125# Hay Budden has a skinny little waist, whereas the one in your pic has so much mass directly in line with where the work takes place. Some pretty big stuff could be forged on that. Your right, the horn does look a little "wimpy" compared to all that body, but I'm sure it was probably enough for the smith to do the job and didn't waste resources.

Thanks for sharing these.

george wilson
11-28-2010, 12:04 AM
I am sure they knew what they were doing when they made the smallish horn. I just don't care for it's looks,which isn't really a good technical reason for not liking it,I realize.

Jim Hoti
11-28-2010, 12:30 AM
in the office of the Blacksmith behind the shop. Would love to have one, but I definitely couldn't afford one. Am using a Hay-Budden from around 1910 (based on the serial number) and have my great-grandfather's Mousehole Forge Anvil and it dates to pre-1820. It looks a lot like the ones at Colonial Williamsburg, but is smaller at only 168 pounds. I really enjoy watching the smith's work at Colonial Williamsburg and got them to make me a wheeler's axe that I just picked up. Wonderful workmanship.

David Weaver
11-28-2010, 8:39 AM
Very nice anvils, george. Every home should have one installed in the garage - roll it into the mortgage :)

Steve Branam
11-28-2010, 2:22 PM
I just had to laugh in amazement when I read this, too cool, patternmaking for anvil casting!

Jim Koepke
11-28-2010, 3:52 PM
It is an earlier model(both are 18th.C. types),which has a 5th. foot,and a rather strange,small horn.

I wonder if blacksmiths with different specialties used different kinds of anvils.

Though, I imagine there might not have been much specialization among blacksmiths in the 18th century.

jtk

harry strasil
11-28-2010, 4:22 PM
The so called Church window anvils were mostly made on the continent and I believe are still made in Germany, its a decoration probably. The fifth foot is called a "toe" and no one knows what its purpose is/was for, its kinda like the nib on old saws. There are many many different styles of anvils each specific to a certain trade. Personally I don't care for European Continental two horned anvils, but they have there place and work better than a London Pattern Single horned anvil at some tasks. Orininally Anvils had NO horns and some today still are made that way, specifically a Saw Makers Anvil

harry strasil
11-28-2010, 4:26 PM
Jim, the early Smiths were very specialized, due to the Guild System, and each special smith trade had its own unique set of necessary tools, along with the ones used for general work.

george wilson
11-28-2010, 4:33 PM
They have a few small anvils in the same shop with no horns,made by a maker in Pa.,whose name I can't recall at the moment.

In Italy I saw a blacksmith shop tucked away in a dark corner of Venice. It had the typical double horn,one square,one round,and a small flat square area in the center.

The saw nib is for tying a tooth guard stick onto the blade of the saw. the string went into the nib to keep it from sliding off. Other end looped through the lamb's tongue.

This is the most reasonable use of the nib I've heard. Carpenters in England used to carry their tools in a basket. The guard kept the saw from scratching up every thing else. I have seen old wooden planes,like try planes,with saw teeth impressions permanently pressed deep into their sides,from being carried loose in a chest in wagons,and on ships.

Pam Niedermayer
11-28-2010, 5:33 PM
They have a few small anvils in the same shop with no horns,made by a maker in Pa.,whose name I can't recall at the moment....

I hope this isn't out of place for this topic, but since you brought up hornless anvils I find I have to mention that old style Japanese smiths use rectangular (longest is height) anvils with no decoration, holes, protrusions.

Pam