PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for Jet 1642 Folks

David Moore CA
11-27-2010, 9:12 PM
Howdy. I am a fairly new turner and have acquired a Jet 1642 which I've been assembling and trying to figure out all the intricacies. So far I am very pleased with what I am seeing. My question is whether there is a place on the lathe which is designed to store the knockout bar? If there isn't I guess I can drill a hole but didn't want to do that if there is already a place for it that I am missing.

Jim Underwood
11-27-2010, 9:28 PM
Well I can tell you where NOT to put it....:o

Today I was spinning up the lathe and started turning, and I kept hearing this rattley noise.... I finally noticed I'd left the knockout rod in the spindle.

I normally store mine in the left side slot between the legs and the bed.

James Combs
11-27-2010, 9:33 PM
I have the 1642 also but I am not aware of a specific place for the knock-out bar. I was storing mine in the wire basket underneath then I turned the lathe so that the motor end was against a wall. When I realized I couldn't use the knockout bar in that position I put some electrical tape around it to make it a snug but slip fit inside the spindle and then put in there and left it. Now it is in there ready when I need it. It only rattles a little bit at slower speeds. lol

Don Orr
11-27-2010, 9:41 PM
I use a strong rare earth magnet on the headstock-side leg to hold my knockout rod. I got the magnet a Lowe's or Home depot. About 1" x 2". Works great.

David Moore CA
11-27-2010, 9:44 PM
Thanks! The magnet idea is probably better (and easier) than trying to drill a hole through the cast iron.

Jim Underwood
11-27-2010, 9:52 PM
I'd definitely not drill a hole in the casting if you can help it.

Check out the photo in my first post.

I've got a transmission pan magnet for holding things like tommy bars, and steel rules, and a large speaker magnet for things like allen wrenches and small parting tools.

I placed the knockout rod in the slot on the left between the legs and bed. It doesn't come out. You could place a magnet next to it to keep it from sliding out.

RL Johnson
11-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I slide mine downthe aluminum heat sink on the controller. It is always handy and is out of the way.

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2010, 11:48 PM
I have an eye bolt screwed in to the side wall of my tool storage shelf that holds the knock-out bar. Easy to grab but out of the way until needed.

Curt Fuller
11-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Today I was spinning up the lathe and started turning, and I kept hearing this rattley noise.... I finally noticed I'd left the knockout rod in the spindle.

:o:o:o Been there, done that!

Stuart Reid
11-28-2010, 1:09 AM
I drilled an appropriate size hole in a piece of sheet metal and another hole in the other end, about a two inch piece, then bolted it to the base on the left side where the headstock & ways bolt to the legs. It is right in the correct place when I need to use it.

Stu

Jake Helmboldt
11-28-2010, 9:53 AM
I have a pegboard on the wall with a variety of lathe items (live centers, chuck wrenches, etc) and store my knockout bar there in a screwdriver holder.

Always at hand, doesn't get in the way, won't fall off, etc.

Thom Sturgill
11-28-2010, 10:11 AM
I built a cabinet (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=139130) that sets between the legs. Plenty I'd change, but the top left drawer has dividers and holds on the MT2 accessories and the right hand drawer holds the tool rests and knockout bar. Pretty handy so far.
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=149373&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1272495893

Dan Hintz
11-28-2010, 11:17 AM
That's okay... I went to check out a metal lathe at an auction a few weeks ago. Made a rookie mistake and turned it on after leaving the key in the chuck. I had just finished testing the check jaws for smooth operation and I left it in before flipping the switch. The auctioneer wasn't very happy...

charlie knighton
11-28-2010, 12:47 PM
i just leave mine in the basket under the ways :D

Josh Bowman
11-28-2010, 4:18 PM
2 rare earth magnets on the left leg, until I decide what to do with it.........that was 6 months ago:rolleyes: Guess the rare earth magnets will be all I use. They seem to want to stick to the casting more than the rod, so they always stay behind and never have they slipped with the rod toward the floor. I kind of like Steve's idea of an eye-bolt though.

Harvey Schneider
11-28-2010, 6:50 PM
I mounted a tool rack, intended for screw drivers and the like, with two strong magnets. I can store knock out bar, wrenches, and T-handled hex wrenches there. I mounted it to the back side of the ways to that the tools are not in my way, but are within easy reach.

Roland Martin
11-28-2010, 7:43 PM
Well I can tell you where NOT to put it....:o

I normally store mine in the left side slot between the legs and the bed.

When I heard that rattling and eventually figured out what it was, I was definitely humbled. Then I thought, "I wonder if anybody else has ever done this?":D:D LOL

larry cronkite
11-29-2010, 5:57 AM
I used a piece of scrap wood (2 x 7 x 3/8) and imbedded 2 rare earth magnets on one side and drilled a hole in the middle for the knock out bar. It fits on the ways just outboard of the motor.