PDA

View Full Version : Does this count as a gloat?

Chen-Tin Tsai
11-27-2010, 9:10 PM
Well, I'm trying to finish working on my mini-roubo this weekend and got to the point that I need to get the hardware for the face vise. So, with the bench waiting, I mosey down to my local Woodcraft to get a small face vise. But, before I walk out the door, I look at the mail, and what do you know, there's a Woodcraft flier with a coupon for $10 off! :D

So, off to the Woodcraft I go. I get the small face vise and am wandering through the wood section when I noticed that they had a lot of 4/4 African mahogany for $4.50 a bf, which I thought was a decent price, since my local hardwood dealer charges around $6/bf. Then, I see that they have some nice looking 4/4 cherry as well, also for $4.50 a bf. Then, I notice the "50% off all lumber" sign! I was like :eek:, and then was like :o, and then :D:cool: I snagged around 45 bf of cherry and mahogany for $2.25 a bf!

Add in the face vise (with discount), a small piece of 3/4" baltic birch, and a can of finish and out the door for under 2 bills! :D I planed up some of the cherry and it's going to look nice for my hallway table top!

george wilson
11-27-2010, 9:33 PM
That was a good price!!:)

Mark Baldwin III
11-27-2010, 10:10 PM
If anything, it was the best use of smileys ever! Guess I'll have to stop at my woodcraft tomorrow (with my $10 card) and see if they have any extra deals like that too!

Terry Beadle
11-28-2010, 11:07 AM
This is a definite gloat....and a good deal!

Nothing better than a bargain. It makes the creative juices sing!

Enjoy the shavings.

Chen-Tin Tsai
11-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Well, that teaches me why I have to get the workbench finished and usable rather than try to start a project. I tried to work on the tabletop for my hallway table on my old rickety "bench" and almost had a hernia! Planing while bent over, on a bench that moves with every stroke, on wood that's not held down well is a full body workout! :o

But that cherry's really nice, though! :)

Andrew Gibson
11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Definitely a gloat. I also feel your pain with the bench. mane is a pair of saw horses and a doubled sheet of mdf. I have to clamp the top to the horses then add some boards to the bottom and stack a couple cinder blocks. even then it still walks into the yard... then there is the problem of having no vises so i have learned to be creative with clamping...

When I get the chance to build my collapsible bench I will be so much better simply because of the vises. I am also planning a wheel devise that will allow me to wheel around a bench that would other wise be a bit heavy for one person I am sure.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2010, 1:07 PM
Definitely gloat worthy.

We want to see pictures of the bench and the hall table. Heck, we would all likely like to see pictures of just the pile of wood.

jtk

Johnny Kleso
11-28-2010, 1:12 PM
SMC needs to add a Gloat Smiley Face Icon :)