PDA

View Full Version : Help with a table

Aaron Berk
11-27-2010, 8:30 PM
Threw this together over the holiday. Now I need to slow down and think about the legs. I brought it into the kitchen to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. but I'm still a little stumped. I like the beefy rectangular look, it's got Scandinavian roots (like me).

But I thought I'd try some out some different ideas, any thoughts?

Jim Mahan
11-27-2010, 9:04 PM
How about inside tapers?

Aaron Berk
11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah, inside tapers were my 1st choice.

These legs are 2-3/4 x 4-3/4 nice and stout.

I was thinking a taper that would start just below the skirt that will be built tomorrow. And then maybe a 45* champher on ALL leg sides.

I've also thought of reducing the legs to 2-3/4 x 4"

ugg, I'm not a designer.

But I love building my OWN stuff.

Mike Konobeck
11-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Give SketchUp a try. You can play around with different dimensions very easily and see what looks best to you. It would be very easy to recreate what you have in it and start playing around. You are the only one that can really determine the best look but there are some general (golden) rules. 4" on either face is little too wide for my taste. I am building a table with 3" legs and the top is about 72x40.

Terry Beadle
11-28-2010, 11:16 AM
You might consider a fat foot design. This is one where you come up from the floor leg end about 2 ~ 3 inches, create a curve that tapers towards the aprons. It give the stoutness some homage but also gives the table a little less blocky look.

frank shic
11-28-2010, 12:05 PM
you don't want to trim those breadboard ends down just a little bit?

Aaron Berk
11-28-2010, 3:25 PM
you don't want to trim those breadboard ends down just a little bit?

LOL, yeah I was going for the horned look:D

Nothing is completed at this stage, ends will get trimmed, top will get sanded, legs designed, skirt built........

Aaron Berk
11-28-2010, 3:29 PM
You might consider a fat foot design. This is one where you come up from the floor leg end about 2 ~ 3 inches, create a curve that tapers towards the aprons. It give the stoutness some homage but also gives the table a little less blocky look.

interesting, I'm trying to picture this, but having trouble. Any more embellishment for me?

Frank Drew
11-29-2010, 2:54 PM
For my own taste, legs that start out square look better than rectangular ones; the latter seem to be more carpentry than cabinetmaking. IMO.

Aaron Berk
11-30-2010, 12:22 AM
This is where I was pulling ideas from. http://www.twizzles.net/Beech_Wood_Dining_Set_6_seater.asp

If you look at the table in the link you'll see the similarity

I know on first glance at this stage in the build it may look like carpentry, but old world craftsmanship had substantial carpentry roots. And this table has no nails or screws in it.......yet:p

This is a design/build project, meaning I'm designing as I go.

I'm also thinking of doing a skirt drawer, much like a country harvest table. But going with an inset draw with some type of minimalist pull, and grain matched drawer face.

This table has to be "severe duty" rated, thus the super thick top and legs.
I narrowed the legs down a little tonight, but I'm keeping my rectangular shape :D

Dave MacArthur
11-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Nothing to say about the table really, but man I spent hours on your waste veggie oil thing, ended up reading all night. Epic :)

to keep from being off topic, I'll vote "inside taper".

Aaron Berk
11-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Nothing to say about the table really, but man I spent hours on your waste veggie oil thing, ended up reading all night. Epic :)

to keep from being off topic, I'll vote "inside taper".

EPIC huh? :cool: thanks for the awesome compliment.
Waste Oil as a fuel is a great passion of mine, glad u liked it.

Aaron Berk
01-31-2011, 8:45 PM
OK I've had this on the back burner for awhile, finally got back on it. I've still got a little bit left to go, but this is how it sits tonight.