PDA

View Full Version : Pen(z) a poppin

Michael James
11-27-2010, 6:50 PM
David Keller very generously sent me a pre holiday assortment of some very NICE pen blanks. There's not a boring chunk in the lot! Thanks David - big time!:D
I saw the crosscut spalted hackberry as the biggest challenge in the bunch, CA / BLO on a Wall Str II Chrome w/Satin. Nice!!!!

John Keeton
11-27-2010, 7:32 PM
Congrats on the early Christmas present, and very nice work on the pen!! That hackberry shows very well!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-27-2010, 9:12 PM
Michael, great gift and beautiful pen. You did a great job. Thanks for showing.:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2010, 9:39 PM
That is a beauty. Well done.

David E Keller
11-27-2010, 10:52 PM
You're welcome! Looks like you made short work of that hackberry. Enjoy!

Cathy Schaewe
11-28-2010, 9:36 AM
Nice! And the wood is very pretty -

Jeff Nicol
11-28-2010, 9:54 AM
Michael, The new lathe is getting a workout and the fun of getting wood to play with is a great thing! You make some beautiful pens as I can personally attest to by the gorgeous buffalo horn pen that is used by me every day!

Keep up the good work and enjoy that little delta,

Jeff

Dave Wagner
11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Question on the hackberry, I got some and it was very dry (like balsa wood?) and smelled like mold or musty? it that typical, or did I just get a bad batch that they had laying around? Thanks, (don't mean to hijack the thread, but since it was about hackberry, thought I would ask the question).

Jim Burr
11-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice work Mike...and Merry Christmas again!:D

David Reed
11-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I have not made any pens so am not an expert here but if the hackberry is the toughest piece, I would definitely say you have it mastered. Lovely.
Keep it up.

David E Keller
11-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Question on the hackberry, I got some and it was very dry (like balsa wood?) and smelled like mold or musty? it that typical, or did I just get a bad batch that they had laying around? Thanks, (don't mean to hijack the thread, but since it was about hackberry, thought I would ask the question).

The stuff I've got is dry and fairly dusty, too... It's really spalted. I've never turned normal hackberry, but I think your description is pretty typical for the spalted stuff.

Michael James
11-28-2010, 9:28 PM
I have not made any pens so am not an expert here but if the hackberry is the toughest piece, I would definitely say you have it mastered. Lovely.
Keep it up.

Well, I based that guess on the fact that is was cross cut as opposed to the grain running the length....makes it fragile and it is spalted to the heavens, ie soft / punky. I put thin CA on the blank all over before I ever even drilled it, more as I cut it. thanks!