PDA

View Full Version : Handplane for Christmas

Tom Rash
11-27-2010, 5:31 PM
I have been asked what I want for christmas and I was thinking I could use some handplanes. I would like to get a block plane and a bench plane. I have been looking at the lee valley catalog and the low angle jack plane looks interesting.
What 2 planes would you recommend for somebody that does not have one? I would rather buy new just so I know how it is supposed to work before I buy an older plane and have to tune it up. Would the LAJ be good for smoothing and planing glues up? THanks

Bill Houghton
11-27-2010, 5:40 PM
You're asking a question that, if everyone replies with his/her preferences, will generate a thread of infinite length.

Up at the top of this forum's thread listing is one titled, "Neanderthal Wisdom/FAQ's" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103805, It lists threads that have discussed some of the topics that come up a lot, of which yours is one. Have a look at the threads shown there.

A block plane is definitely a good first plane; you'll use it in more ways than you can imagine. Standard angle/low angle - arguments both ways. A low angle, if you then buy a second iron ground at a slightly higher angle, gives you both (the cutting angle on a bevel-up plane is the bedding angle of the iron plus the angle at which the iron is ground).

Probably the next plane would be a jack plane. I don't have any experience with the low-angle/bevel-up jack planes, but have certainly run my Stanley conventional bevel-down plane over a lot of wood, and find it a useful size.

Don Dorn
11-27-2010, 5:41 PM
Not sure what the budget is, but if you can swing Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen, it would be the last plane of that type you would have to buy. Lee Valley is generally a bit less expensive but in my opinion, just as high of quality.

My hat is off to those who can fettle an old Stanley, but it's just not a skill I have nor do I want to invest the time. The planes I mentioned are certainly spendy but most would agree that it's worth it. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Johnny Kleso
11-27-2010, 5:43 PM
Any Jack Plane and a Jointing Plane and your pretty much set but a small
Low Angle Block Plane is eaiser on the pocket :)

You will also need some sharpening supplies maybe...
A Shapening Jig and Sand Paper will work...

Jon Toebbe
11-27-2010, 6:45 PM
I just got a Lee Valley/Veritas Low Angle Jack as a birthday present and absolutely adore it! David Charlesworth uses machines to mill his boards and hand-tools to cut his joinery -- and uses a #5-1/2 for just about everything. It's a super-sized smoother; it's a jointer for parts up to 30 inches in length or so; it's just the right size to use on a shooting board (especially with a 25 degree grind on the iron); it makes great jullienne fries! :) A LAJ with two or three irons and you're pretty well set for a wide variety of planing tasks.

I've got two irons, both with 25 degree primary bevels. One has a 27 degree secondary bevel for end-grain work on a shooting board. The other has a 40 degree secondary bevel and a gentle camber for near York-pitch smoothing. The plane has done everything I've asked of it without even a hiccup. I'll probably add a third iron with more camber for use as a fore plane, since I don't have machines to go from rough to ready (or the space to house them, being an apartment dweller).

I've taken Derek Cohen's advice (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades.html) with respect to sharpening my LAJ's irons and have been delighted with the results and overall lack of hassle. Get a jig if you're going the bevel-up route. Scary sharp is a good way to start down the sharpening slope, but a nice pair of waterstones would look mighty fine under the Christmas tree, too. :D