PDA

View Full Version : Tool search

Rob Mathis
11-27-2010, 4:54 PM
Anyone have a source for an electric version of one of these? What I am really looking for would be about 1-1/2 inch across. In a pinch this would work but it would be better if it was electric.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g3beh5wGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Grant Wilkinson
11-27-2010, 5:11 PM
Metabo makes the only one that I could find. I just bought one on Amazon. The model number is sxe400. It's just over $100.

John Keeton
11-27-2010, 5:15 PM
Not sure for what purpose you are wanting it, but a lot of turners use this (http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-8-Inch-55-Degree-Quarters-Right-Angle/dp/B000XUHA8C) for power sanding. You can get various size pads for it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hN8hkNZxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rob Mathis
11-27-2010, 5:58 PM
Want to be able to use it on the lathe John.

I fired up a 5" orbital on a bowl I am working on and where I could use it it worked great. But it is way to big for the lathe.

Rob Mathis
11-27-2010, 6:01 PM
Grant, the Metabo is a 3-1/8 inch .......larger then I am looking for.

Doug W Swanson
11-27-2010, 6:56 PM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Abrasives___Hook_and_Loop___Apprentice_Disc_Holder ___artisan_disc_holders?Args=

I use these with a drill similar to the one in John's post. I've got both the 2" and 3" and they work great....

Jon McElwain
11-27-2010, 7:03 PM
The Proxxon and the Arbortech mini grinders can use 2" sanding disks and flap disks. You'll probably find that an electric version of the Grex will not spin nearly as fast. Grex is like 15,000 RPM, right angle drill is like 1000 rpm. The Proxxon (picture below) can go from around 3000 to 13000 rpm.

Greg Just
11-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I got this one from HF for about $25. I use it all the time for powersanding:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_2571.jpg

Jeff Nicol
11-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Guys the Grex is a RO sander so all the plain drills don't fit the bill. Maybe some one with lots of money and time could get one designed and built for the wood turner. I suppose I could do it if I had a silent partner with all the capital!

Lots of turners would buy one I believe,

Jeff

John G. Lopez
11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm a newcomer here.
I've been thinking about trying one of these on the lathe in a slow power sanding mode.
The sanding head they offer is a 3 inch rounded triangle which may not work well .
I may have to come up with a shop made rounded head that has the hook & loop attached.
But I enjoy the tool making aspect of our craft.
These things run about $50 if you shop around online.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catid=94&catname=Oscillating+Tools

Ken Hill
11-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I was going to order the Grex, still might, but I cant see running the compressor for a smallbowl. Maybe once the "Keeton" syndrom fully overtakes me and I get into hollow forms with more surface area.....

Rob Mathis
11-28-2010, 12:22 AM
George thanks for the post

As for the Grex you need a 60 Gallon Tank on your compressor. Mine is only 27. So if thing is going to work for me I need to upgrade the compressor. And in doing so I would locate it outside of my shop which means I need to build an out building and add in power to run it.

That is the real problem for me.

Wayne Kuhn
11-28-2010, 11:57 AM
I just could not see paying a lot of money for a drill i am going to fill with sawdust. My harbor freight right angle drill has lasted abought 5 years and is still going strong. Variable speed and reversing.
Wayne K.
Columbia, MD

Curt Fuller
11-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I just could not see paying a lot of money for a drill i am going to fill with sawdust. My harbor freight right angle drill has lasted abought 5 years and is still going strong. Variable speed and reversing.
Wayne K.
Columbia, MD

I have the cheap Harbor Freight drill too and it just keeps going. It's also been my experience that high speeds just seem to create too much heat and destroy the sandpaper, melt the velcro, and dissolve the PSA adhesive. But I get a little carried away sometimes too.

Reed Gray
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
The random orbit sanders are only good for finish sanding, in the 220 grit range and above. Not good for the coarse grades of abrasives. A pneumatic sander will keep the compressor running non stop. Much cheaper to use the electric drills. There are mandrils and discs down to 1 inch diameter, or you can use a pipe section with 1 inch inside diameter to cut your own.

What exactly are you sanding out? For efficiency, nothing beats the electric drill and Vince's discs.

robo hippy

Rich Aldrich
11-28-2010, 1:01 PM
Vince sells this electric drill. I dont know how good it is. Scroll down the page and he has a pnuematic drill also.

http://www.vinceswoodnwonders.com/Quarter_%20Angle_%20Drill_and_Pneumatic_Sanders.ht m

Dave Ogren
11-28-2010, 1:11 PM
I have two, one just like John Keton's and one from Vince.
They are knock-off's of the Souix.
The feature, I think, that makes them great is the angle.

I think that the key to keeping them alive to to continually blow them out with compressed air. I do it maybe every 15 minutes or after each bowl.

Good Luck,

Dave

Allen stagg
11-28-2010, 3:35 PM
I have one of the Grex RO sander. I works ok, however, I do have an issue with it. When pressing down just a little, the sanding pad just stops spinning. I can even hold it with my hand and the motor turns, but the sanding pad doesn't just don't sound right to me. I have used a regular 6" Random Orbital sander and works, but is too large for some things and thought this would fill the need, but was dissapointed in the weakness of the spinning sanding wheel.

Allen stagg
11-28-2010, 3:40 PM
I have the Grex sander. I works ok, but has a drawback. Once you put a little pressure on the sanger to vessel, the sanding disk stops turning. I can even hold it with my hand while the turbine is turning, but the sanding pad just holds still. My 6" RO sander doesn't do that and didn't expect this one to bog down so easily.

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 4:36 PM
Sounds like a line pressure issue or the air supply adjustment is set to low Allen?

I know my other sanding tools eat air, and while I do have the compressor to run anything I will ever need, I prefer the E-tools where applicable. I have one like John posted on the way, but would like the Grex for off the lathe work where my Orbital sanders and DA's are too large, however I seem to be reading about quite a few issues with the Grex.....maybe I will go Boshe or Milwaukee.

Gary Herrmann
11-28-2010, 5:24 PM
Rob, I use the drill John pictured. It's about $25. All you then need is one of these:

Ray Bell
11-28-2010, 6:44 PM
Like other have said, I don't think you can beat the cheap HF angle drill, and Vince's sanding pads and discs.

Dennis Simmons
11-28-2010, 6:47 PM
Sand your item with as heavy a grit you think you need to remove tear out, start up with finer grits when you get to 180 grit , turn the lathe off and hand sand with 180 grit in a circular motion, turn the lathe by hand. After you have covered the entire area turn the lathe on with a slow speed. You now need to use scotch bright pads of textures. When you are happy, use a scotch no scratch pad from your local food store. This will polish your work. You can know see any problem areas to rework.