PDA

View Full Version : Pine Bench

steven c newman
11-27-2010, 3:34 PM
About four years ago, I made three of these little benches. Slats are old, reclaimed floor boards. The 2x parts came from old barn wood 2x8s. Mortise and pegged tenons. Pegs came from the tongues that were ripped from the floor boards. I drilled a round hole for the peg, used a pencil sharpener to "point" the end of the peg, and drove the pegs home. When sanded smooth, pegs came out square. The bench in the pictures has sat on the owner's back porch for the last four years. Weathered kind of nice. Owner is about 6'4", 275. Not even a wiggle when he sits down on the bench. :D

steven c newman
11-27-2010, 9:37 PM
I used the pattern from Norm Abram's English Garden Bench project for most of this bench. His was Teak ($$$, ouch) mine is old pine. His was 5' wide, mine is just 48". His used 3" thick stock for most of the parts, mine are 1-1/2". Both seem to have weathered to a nice gray. Just a bench for a porch. :cool:

Bill Edwards(2)
11-28-2010, 8:00 AM
Very nice! http://www.unclebill.us/bigs/thumbup.gif

gary Zimmel
11-28-2010, 8:25 AM
Nice work on the bench Steven.
Bonus points for using reclaimed wood.

steven c newman
11-28-2010, 11:50 PM
A couple of those 2xs across the front of that bench are a little "rough". It seems that the 2x8 I ripped in two to make the top rail and the two seat rails, had been "home" to a city of bugs. Bug channels are over the boards! I didn't see any critters in the boards, just where they had been. Barn wood? Yep, and a trip through the planner reinforced that fact, PU. One HAS to love the barnyard smell. Rather than make angled mortises like Norm did, I simply tipped the bottom rail back to match the top rail. Back slats just sit in a groove in the rails. A single brad from the back holds each slat in place. It did take a little longer than the 1/2 hour Norm did it in, though.:D