PDA

View Full Version : Searching for inlay in all the wrong places...

David Reed
11-27-2010, 12:27 PM
I turned this platter from the off-cut from my previous hole-y bowl. It has some major crackage due to the punkification process but it is still firm enough to be stable without augmentation. I am looking to fill some of these voids and want some input. I have considered mixing turquoise powder/dust with epoxy and am confused about the online resources (can find nothing local). I prefer a powdered product or at least fine enough that granule size will not limit filling of the cracks and to make sanding simpler than the granulated product. I would also like a little bling and sparkle if possible. I have seen several products on line sold at wildly divergent prices but have no idea of the suitability or appearance of the products. If anyone has experience and suggested resources, I would be most appreciative.
I have experimented a little using bronze or copper filings and like the look but the contrast level is rather limited with the finished color of the BLM burl.

Wally Dickerman
11-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Craft Supplies stock turquoise in several sizes. I mix it with epoxy to make a paste to fill cracks and voids. To add some sparkle, go to your craft store and buy a product called Sparkle. I use just a small amount of blue and sometimes a smaller amount of red. Also comes in gold which will add sparkle to brass filings.

Wally

Norm Zax
11-27-2010, 1:37 PM
You can crush stone (quite easy) or buy it already crushed (by the way, malachite is slightly softer than turquoise), and you can buy Inlace (which has sparkly colors). In any case, except for really large voids, I use CA, not epoxy. Take a look at this link:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Decorative_Materials___Inlay_Materials?Args=

Richard Madden
11-27-2010, 1:40 PM
I bought turquoise and white nuggets from Craft supply;http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/. I got the nuggets instead of powder, and crushed to suit. They come about the size of rock salt. About $10.00 for 4 oz. versus $8 to $16.00 for 1 oz. of powder.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2010, 2:26 PM
Ditto what Richard said. I crush my own to whatever size I feel is needed.