PDA

View Full Version : A Cheery Kind of Day, Thanks Ken!

Baxter Smith
11-26-2010, 9:49 PM
After finishing up all the rough outs on the oak, sycamore and hickory I picked up at Ken Hills last Saturday
(and it being Black Friday) I thought I should do something cheery. Turned one just to see what the wood was like. Couldn’t quite decide if I liked leaving the sapwood or not. Then thought why not a pair. Well, maybe a set of four for salad. Six might be more practical if we have guests. Heck one may crack during drying, so I better have an extra. I could mess one up so, lets just make it eight and finish it up! Cored one and turned it thin.
Hopefully they can be returned and the insides kept clear with a stripe of sapwood around the outside.
Will find out in a year! :(:)
I wonder if its going to be a nutty kind of weekend(as in walnut)! :D Thanks again Ken!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2010, 9:54 PM
Baxter that is a great looking bunch of bowls. My cherry salad bowl set should be ready to return to the lathe for finishing soon. Looks like a good time was had on black Friday.:D

Ken Hill
11-26-2010, 10:15 PM
You ready for more LOL!!!! Looks great Baxter!

Now you are making me feel bad, ive only turned like 8 bowls since that day!:D

charlie knighton
11-26-2010, 10:39 PM
i wish you well, ya got it bad!!!!! keep up the good work

John Keeton
11-27-2010, 6:54 AM
Nothing like Black Cherry on Black Friday!! Baxter, you are a turning machine! It is fun to see you in production mode.

That is some good looking turning, and the last pic is really neat. Sure will look good lined up on the table.

Jeff Nicol
11-27-2010, 7:26 AM
Baxter, You sure were a busy little turner yesterday! I with my worn out body would be in my chair with heat and ice on every inch of it trying to get through the day! The arthiritis in my knees is really slowing me down in this cold weather we are having. I bet the shop smelt so wonderful turning all that cherry! One of my most favorite to turn also.

The shop is heating up right now and I am getting coffee and meds flowing to get out and do some turning today for pretty much the first time in a couple weeks. I might even have some pictures to post!

Have fun in the shop today!

Jeff

Baxter Smith
11-27-2010, 9:41 AM
Baxter that is a great looking bunch of bowls. My cherry salad bowl set should be ready to return to the lathe for finishing soon. Looks like a good time was had on black Friday.:D
Thanks Bernie. I didn't start out thinking set, just kind of happened when it looked like it would pretty much match. I suppose you anchorsealed yours. I look forward to seeing it. Hope you post it!

You ready for more LOL!!!! Looks great Baxter!

Now you are making me feel bad, ive only turned like 8 bowls since that day!:D
Thanks Ken, your walnut will keep me busy for a couple days. Will have to be on the lookout for a piece of cherry for a big bowl to go with them though.:D If I had my own woods to hunt and play in I wouldn't get as much turned!

i wish you well, ya got it bad!!!!! keep up the good work
Thanks Charlie. I'm not going to the Dr. anytime soon.

Nothing like Black Cherry on Black Friday!! Baxter, you are a turning machine! It is fun to see you in production mode.

That is some good looking turning, and the last pic is really neat. Sure will look good lined up on the table.
Black Cherry on Black Friday. Never thought of that one John!:) Maybe I should make the next one my returning day as well!

Baxter, You sure were a busy little turner yesterday! I with my worn out body would be in my chair with heat and ice on every inch of it trying to get through the day! The arthiritis in my knees is really slowing me down in this cold weather we are having. I bet the shop smelt so wonderful turning all that cherry! One of my most favorite to turn also.

The shop is heating up right now and I am getting coffee and meds flowing to get out and do some turning today for pretty much the first time in a couple weeks. I might even have some pictures to post!

Have fun in the shop today!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Hope the meds have kicked in and you are feeling better! I put a wood floor on top of my concrete, a rubber mat on top of that, then a layer of shavings eventually. I wouldnt enjoy it any other way. When I retired, I knew I was going to have more time to train. I wanted to get into marathons and triathlons, but my knee had other plans. Guess it is now just marathon turning!:)
Was in the 30's here last night but near 60 yesterday. Have only run the heater one day in my shop. With the cyclone running while turning, (the filters are in a closet with an air return to the shop) it keeps the place warm enough by itself if its not real cold out.
Hope you have a good day and get to post some pics!

David Reed
11-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow - and I thought I thought I suffered from obsessive/compulsive disorder.

gary Zimmel
11-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Big time production mode... Nice work Baxter.

bob svoboda
11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Impressive amount of work and nice bowls to boot. Way to spend man-cave day!

David E Keller
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Nicely done, Baxter. The bark on that natural edge piece is awesome!

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2010, 11:04 AM
WOW - now you had some fun!!! Great looking natural edge! Looking forward to seeing the set once completed!

Baxter Smith
11-27-2010, 5:09 PM
Nicely done, Baxter. The bark on that natural edge piece is awesome!
The hickory had some great bark but it was very brittle. Only the lightest cuts I could take with a sharpened tool would keep from splintering off a piece. I sill lost a couple from the outer layers. You would never know they were missing except for the spots with a lighter color. I have saved some bark scraps to try and glue on when finished.

Wow - and I thought I thought I suffered from obsessive/compulsive disorder.
I was just going to do one cherry but it kind of got away from me.

WOW - now you had some fun!!! Great looking natural edge! Looking forward to seeing the set once completed!
I am looking forward to seeing how they come out as well. Over the last 11 months I have kind of lost track of all of the things I am looking forward to seeing finished.:o

Big time production mode... Nice work Baxter.
Thanks Gary. It was the first time I have tried to make the same thing two times in a row. Wouldn't want to make a habit of it but thought it fit the wood.

Impressive amount of work and nice bowls to boot. Way to spend man-cave day!
Thanks Bob. Didn't seem like work!:) Till maybe number 7.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-27-2010, 9:22 PM
Baxter, I can see you want to be a production turner and you have a great start. Really this is going to give you a bunch of neat stuff to work on as the dry out. Have Fun!!:)

Leo Van Der Loo
11-27-2010, 9:53 PM
Baxter you did some nice turning there, now just keep em alive :D.

The nested set has still too much wood on them IMO, it has always tripped me up when I did that :eek:.

I turned a bunch of Beech last year I think it was, turned all of them to the 10% walls, except one that I left nice and thick and then totally sealed it well with anchorseal.

None of the regular ones split on me but that extra thick one nearly became 2 halves :eek: :o :)

Baxter Smith
11-28-2010, 3:41 PM
Baxter, I can see you want to be a production turner and you have a great start. Really this is going to give you a bunch of neat stuff to work on as the dry out. Have Fun!!:)
Believe it or not, production turning looks too much like work to me!
I have a bunch of stickered wood that will never go bad, but with this turning stuff, I feel like if I don't get the stuff roughed out as quickly as possible, I will only be turning bottle stoppers and pen blanks later. I'm bad enough with wood I have collected, but with nice wood someone else gave me, I am even more paranoid!

Baxter you did some nice turning there, now just keep em alive :D.

The nested set has still too much wood on them IMO, it has always tripped me up when I did that :eek:.

I turned a bunch of Beech last year I think it was, turned all of them to the 10% walls, except one that I left nice and thick and then totally sealed it well with anchorseal.

None of the regular ones split on me but that extra thick one nearly became 2 halves :eek: :o :)
Leo since I hold your "eye" in high esteem along with your suggestions, I went out to the shop and grabbed the calipers after reading your post.:D
The larger bowl is 15.5 wide and 1.8 thick or 12%. The middle one is 11.5 x 1.3 or 11%. The smallest is 8.2 x 8 or 9%. I have never worked with Sycamore before. It was only cut a couple of weeks ago and my sweatshirt was pretty wet after roughing it out. I don't remember if I thought I should leave a little extra or I was close enough. The thickness at the bottom of the larger one (where the recess is) is 1 inch. It would be easy enough to put them back on the lathe and take another pass or two on the inside. I don't believe they have moved yet. Am I close enough?

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 4:33 PM
LOL, Baxter, that Sycamore is going to make ALOT of things before its all gone! Infact, it was on todays hit list:mad: