PDA

View Full Version : White Oak Burl hollow form

mike fuson
11-26-2010, 6:36 PM
This is the first piece I have turned since the spring and it was good to spin a little. This is a chunk of wood that a friend gave me that has nice figure in it. Measures 8x5 and I just sealed it and waxed it. Thanks for looking.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/whiteoakface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/whiteoaktwo.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/whiteoaktop.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/whiteoakbottom.jpg

John Keeton
11-26-2010, 6:39 PM
Wondered where you had been!! Couple of months ago, we were down in your area and I mentioned to Ms. Keeton that I should have gotten in contact with you!

Very nice piece, and a fantastic piece of wood, Mike! We have missed your work!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-26-2010, 6:53 PM
Good to see you Mike. It has been a dogs age. Very nice work. I'll bet turning was hair raising.:)

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2010, 7:00 PM
Mike - have missed you! Excellent hollow form - but then I would expect nothing less from you! Hope all is well!

Michael James
11-26-2010, 7:22 PM
Very beautiful piece, all the way around! Keep em coming!

Ken Glass
11-26-2010, 7:33 PM
Mike,
Excellent form and great looking Burl Oak. It looks like it might have been a challenge keeping it intact. Well done.

George Guadiane
11-26-2010, 7:40 PM
I LIKE IT!!!
(from every angle)

Roger Chandler
11-26-2010, 7:53 PM
Did you have to wrap the outside with saran wrap or tape to keep it together while turning [hollowing out the inside]?

I don't see how else it could have held together unless you had something holding it that way.

Bill Bolen
11-26-2010, 8:22 PM
Glad to see life gave you a little lathe time! Missed your post's and a hearty welcome back. A beautiful burl piece. Sure a nice "come back"...Bill..

Leo Van Der Loo
11-26-2010, 8:23 PM
This is the first piece I have turned since the spring and it was good to spin a little. This is a chunk of wood that a friend gave me that has nice figure in it. Measures 8x5 and I just sealed it and waxed it. Thanks for looking.
]

Saw your name Mike and knew there'd be a nice piece to look at, glad you are able to turn some and post the outcome.
Of course you didn't let us down and a nice piece it is :D:D

mike fuson
11-26-2010, 8:29 PM
Did you have to wrap the outside with saran wrap or tape to keep it together while turning [hollowing out the inside]?

I don't see how else it could have held together unless you had something holding it that way.

No, nothing like that. I did hold my breath and shut one eye a couple of times though.

Robert McGowen
11-26-2010, 8:38 PM
Good to see you back to turning, Mike. Great looking piece of work.

Jake Helmboldt
11-26-2010, 9:05 PM
Your time away from the lathe shows; you poked a bunch of holes in it and busted up the opening! ;)

Seriously though, that is a beautiful piece, and since I just managed to harvest my first burls I'm wondering if you can share some details. Is the natural edge opening from the outside of the burl or the inside (facing the pith)?

I've got a variety of red oak burls, some solid and some hollow, and I'm trying to figure out the various options in orienting them to turn. Any tips would be appreciated.

mike fuson
11-26-2010, 9:33 PM
Your time away from the lathe shows; you poked a bunch of holes in it and busted up the opening! ;)

Seriously though, that is a beautiful piece, and since I just managed to harvest my first burls I'm wondering if you can share some details. Is the natural edge opening from the outside of the burl or the inside (facing the pith)?

I've got a variety of red oak burls, some solid and some hollow, and I'm trying to figure out the various options in orienting them to turn. Any tips would be appreciated.

Jake, the opening on this one is the pith side. I guess you just have to figure out what kind of form the wood will allow you to make from it and that will dictate which way to turn it. I just always try to turn the side with the most figure towards the top where it can be seen.

Jake Helmboldt
11-26-2010, 9:42 PM
Jake, the opening on this one is the pith side. I guess you just have to figure out what kind of form the wood will allow you to make from it and that will dictate which way to turn it. I just always try to turn the side with the most figure towards the top where it can be seen.

Thanks Mike; simple advice is usually the best advice. A couple of the burls will dicatate the orientation (i.e. they have rotted from the inside), but for the solid ones I'll have to see if they reveal their secrets as to where the best grain is.

David E Keller
11-26-2010, 9:46 PM
Wonderful wood and a wonderful turning... Glad to see your back to turning.

Baxter Smith
11-26-2010, 9:54 PM
Great job using a great piece of wood!

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2010, 9:58 PM
That is a beautiful piece Mike. Was wondering what happened to you. Really nice knarly wood.

Curt Fuller
11-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Mike, just like riding a bike! Looks like you haven't missed a step. That's a beauty, wood, form, everything. Now do some more.

charlie knighton
11-26-2010, 10:37 PM
glad to see your turnings again

mike fuson
11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Wondered where you had been!! Couple of months ago, we were down in your area and I mentioned to Ms. Keeton that I should have gotten in contact with you!

Very nice piece, and a fantastic piece of wood, Mike! We have missed your work!

You shoulda gave me a shout!!!

Alan Trout
11-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Mike,

Wonderful to see you back. I always appreciate your work. You have a wonderful sense of shape and composition. Very well done.

Alan

Mark Hubl
11-29-2010, 1:33 AM
Wonderful form and a beautiful chunk of wood. Glad to see you got some lathe time.

Rob Cunningham
11-29-2010, 1:17 PM
Really nice piece from a beautiful chunk of wood.

David DeCristoforo
11-29-2010, 7:19 PM
Ooo... That's nice! Looks like another contradiction of the principals of centrifugal force!

Doug W Swanson
11-29-2010, 9:09 PM
How did you keep that together? It looks like it could have come apart with the slightest catch.

Well done!

Harry Robinette
11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Mike
Really nice piece wood is beutaful your work is outstanding .