PDA

View Full Version : My take on a tool holder/rack

Alan Zenreich
11-26-2010, 4:40 PM
I purchased a Harbor Freight stool and decided that I really didn't like the cushion. So I repurposed the frame and turntable mechanism into a lathe tool holder.

I added a plywood top, shelf and some casters. Then I affixed various diameters of PVC pipe to the top. So far the turntable has been working out very well for me.

I don't have any problem with the sharp bits of the tools pointing up. I approach the tools carefully, with the respect they deserve.

There's still room to add some more tubes, and I'll likely drill some holes on the bottom shelf wings for more toys, errr, tools.

I hope some folk find this useful.

Alan Zenreich
11-26-2010, 4:42 PM
I forgot to mention that this fixture lives just to the left of the headstock of my Nova DVR XP. Sorry for the busy background in the first photo... the counter behind the rack is there my metal machining tools (mini-mill and 7x14 mini-lathe) live. The dial indicators might look like alien eyes <vbg>

John Keeton
11-26-2010, 4:57 PM
Alan, looks like you have accomplished an organized and compact arrangement! Everything has a home - I like that.

Alan Zenreich
11-26-2010, 5:00 PM
I am, if nothing else... compact <s>

Justin Stephen
11-26-2010, 5:27 PM
It's way too organized. I wouldn't know what to do with something like that.

Greg Ketell
11-26-2010, 6:27 PM
That is really great! Thanks for sharing your design!

Jim Burr
11-26-2010, 6:33 PM
Wow!! That's more stuff in a small space than I own!!:rolleyes: looks nice!

Fred Perreault
11-26-2010, 6:41 PM
Excellent job..... very creative.

George Morris
11-26-2010, 7:29 PM
Alan excellent idea!

George Guadiane
11-26-2010, 7:33 PM
WAY too NEAT!
Do some turning and show us what it looks like with shavings on it. :eek:

Seriously, nice design and implementation.

Dahl Troy Perry
11-26-2010, 7:53 PM
Alan I like the tool rack:D But I would like to see a better pic of the two tools behind the large drill chuck:rolleyes: are they home made ? And have you used your pendent chuck much ?

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Looks great Alan. Very compact and nicely accessible.

Alan Zenreich
11-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Dahl,

Those are a few of the Nano Revolution hollowing tools.

Here are photos of two of them (from the standard set).

After I received the initial set, I ordered two more handles and a shaft with a circular carbide cutter... I'll be trying that one out this weekend for the first time. I also have a scraper tip that fits that shaft. Nice little system.

The little hollow form was my first, made from mahogany, about 2" high (walls about 1/10" thick).

Harry Robinette
11-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Great idea I take it it's buildt on a stool frame.I'm going to try to get pic's of mine on here soon. Real nice job.

Greg Just
11-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Great idea - who needs a stool anyway. Looks like that one is full so you need to buy a second for all those new tools we just gotta have! Thanks for sharing the idea.

Alan Zenreich
11-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Harry, in the original post I mentioned using a stool frame and turntable.

Greg, I do have another (very comfortable) stool. If I acquire many more tools I may never have a place to sit down <vbg>

Alan Zenreich
11-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Dahl,

Yes we very much enjoy using the pendant backer plates. We have two of them, so it's easy to switch the front plate so we can change blanks during different phases/setups. This helps speed things along.

We did a demo last month at our local woodturners club. Everyone seemed to enjoy the presentation, and most were not familiar with the pendant backer plate, so it was nice to show new toys.

David Gilbert
11-28-2010, 7:30 PM
Alan,

I like your design. How did you attach your PVC pipes to the top shelf? I don't see any visible means of support. Are each of the tubes attached to the others?

Thanks,
David

Alan Zenreich
11-28-2010, 9:08 PM
David,

The tubes are not attached to one another.

I affixed pine disks to the table top. The disks are 3/4" high x the inside diameter of each tube. I used a hole saw to cut the disks.

To determine the exact position of each disk, I inserted the disk into the end of a tube, put a little glue on the bottom of the disk then positioned the tube.

Once in position, I used a dowel placed through the tube to hold the disk in position as I raised the tube... revealing the disk. A couple of pins from a Grex pin nailer locked the disk quickly in position.

Atop each disk is a felt pad, a little cushion for each tool.

Now the tricky part affixing the tube to the disk... I used the same Grex pin nailer to drive tiny pins through the PVC and into the disks.

Glue, position, shoot the pins... repeat.

No muss, no fuss, great fun <vbg>

Dennis Puskar
11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/dpuskar/th_001-2.jpg?t=1291005088 (http://s616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/dpuskar/?action=view&current=001-2.jpg&newest=1)Here is my tool holder.