PDA

View Full Version : Cut or bend - 3/8" Jade acrylic?

Mike vonBuelow
11-26-2010, 3:46 PM
Ok, so I have these 5" w x 10" l sheets of 3/8" thick acrylic that look very similar to the attached picture (but longer, as that one is 5" x 7"). But at the 7" mark, there is a "V" cut across the sheet, presumably where a bend would occur. Can I just cut this and use the shorter piece as a base versus bending for the base? I'm just not keen on the bent look - although if there's a better market, I can always be swayed (although I'd need to purchase a bender).

And is it recommended to do a fewest passes at the higher power - or multiple passes at a lower setting? Sorry if this is a NEWB question, but I just don't want any type of explosion or molten acrylic to ruin the day.

And what glue is recommended if I go the cut method?

Josh Richard
11-26-2010, 4:02 PM
I like the weld-on #4 by ISP corp. to "glue" the acrylic. there are slightly different products depending on application.

I would be worried that if you do make the cut at the V, will the piece be front heavy and likely to fall?

Mike vonBuelow
11-26-2010, 4:06 PM
I will use the smaller piece as a base (which is why I was asking about the glue) although I may have to use something else, like a wood base or use other acrylic pieces.

Rodne Gold
11-27-2010, 12:27 AM
You need a double element (top and bottom) wire bender to bend this well
Engrave one pass always if possible , 2 passes often have slight misregistration due to movement etc - acrylic really requires 1 pass at heighish speed and lowish power to mark well.
If you cut , you need to polish the cut edges and use the correct glue - tensol is recommended - the 2 part that will fill any cracks is the best - the thin stuff will not form a strong bond and most likely be visible.

Viktor Voroncov
11-27-2010, 1:32 AM
You can use something like this

Mike vonBuelow
11-27-2010, 8:53 AM
Viktor, those are very nice! Where are they from?

Viktor Voroncov
11-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Proudly made in Lithuania!!!

Thank's Mike!

Terry Swift
11-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Yes Viktor - very nice indeed. Want to ship some stateside?

Mike vonBuelow
11-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Yes, please message me with prices!