PDA

View Full Version : Instead of dovetails?

Brian Jarnell
11-26-2010, 3:27 PM
I glued box, let dry and added biscuits.

I think it will last.

Sorry, omitted to mention Domino.

frank shic
11-26-2010, 7:30 PM
nice dominotails! is that other piece of wood the false front?

Karl Brogger
11-26-2010, 7:32 PM
nice dominotails!

dovino?
domitail?

Jim Becker
11-26-2010, 9:55 PM
Those are very nice...and "something different". :)

Brian Jarnell
11-26-2010, 11:39 PM
nice dominotails! is that other piece of wood the false front?

No that is American white oak and is the actual front of drawer.

Which by the way has become the timber of choice here, since the greenies stopped us milling our native timber.

Not original, but method might be.

James Phillips
11-27-2010, 9:30 AM
I did that same thing a few years back on a mission chest of drawers. I soaked the dominos in dye to make them standout. I can guarantee that joint will last

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jphillips97/IMG_1677.jpg

David Jones
11-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Brian,
Very nice drawer construction with dominos, it looks great.

I did that same thing a few years back on a mission chest of drawers. I soaked the dominos in dye to make them standout. I can guarantee that joint will last

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/jphillips97/IMG_1677.jpg

James,
Great idea to soak the dominos in dye-looks very nice!

Aloha,
Jonesy

Mike Henderson
11-27-2010, 2:40 PM
A non-domino way to do a similar thing is to get some of those bamboo skewers that you would use for doing shish kabob on the barbecue. Put the drawer sides in a rabbet in the drawer face and drill holes the size of the skewers. Drive the skewers into the holes, with glue. Sand (or cut) the skewers off. Makes a nice looking joint.

Mike

Brian Jarnell
11-27-2010, 4:16 PM
A non-domino way to do a similar thing is to get some of those bamboo skewers that you would use for doing shish kabob on the barbecue. Put the drawer sides in a rabbet in the drawer face and drill holes the size of the skewers. Drive the skewers into the holes, with glue. Sand (or cut) the skewers off. Makes a nice looking joint.

Mike
That sounds good..

A picture of same will help us to decide if we should give it a try.

Brian Penning
11-27-2010, 8:58 PM
Frankly, to me, looks like the result of using too large a biscuit size. :)

Brian Jarnell
11-28-2010, 1:09 AM
Frankly, to me, looks like the result of using too large a biscuit size. :)

I hope that make sense to somebody!

David Cefai
11-28-2010, 5:37 AM
I've done that with dowels, didn't think of dying the dowels though.
It worked OK and beech dowels in pine don't look bad.

No photos as the drawers are 15 miles away.

Brian Penning
11-28-2010, 6:04 AM
I hope that make sense to somebody!

Sorry, I meant that the the sides of the drawers appear as if biscuits were thicker or deeper than the thickness of the drawer sides.
In other words when the biscuit joiner was used, the blade went right through the material. Then the biscuit was inserted and the protruding part was sanded flush.
I accidentally did this myself once when I had the joiner set for no. 20 biscuit on too thin material.

Don Dorn
11-28-2010, 6:45 AM
Don't have a Domino, but I really like the idea and will do that with some dowels the next drawer I do. Thanks.

Mike Cutler
11-28-2010, 7:45 AM
I glued box, let dry and added biscuits.

I think it will last.

Sorry, omitted to mention Domino.

Gustav Stickley thinks it will last also.
Some of his joinery is basically the same, except he used dowels.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2010, 8:04 AM
Its holding up well on my daughters dresser and my parents' kitchen pull outs. Only problem I've had (luckily before I finished the first project!) is that I found you can't just glue the domino and put it in--have to glue the recess. The joints are so tight you'll scrape virtually all the glue off.

You can get the outdoor Dominoes that are a darker wood too.

Brian Penning
11-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Its holding up well on my daughters dresser and my parents' kitchen pull outs. Only problem I've had (luckily before I finished the first project!) is that I found you can't just glue the domino and put it in--have to glue the recess. The joints are so tight you'll scrape virtually all the glue off.

You can get the outdoor Dominoes that are a darker wood too.

This made me wonder whether you use dominos or dwels how do you allow for the excess air and glue to escape the holes?
If you cut a slot in the dowels it would show, no?

Brian Jarnell
11-28-2010, 3:42 PM
This made me wonder whether you use dominos or dwels how do you allow for the excess air and glue to escape the holes?
If you cut a slot in the dowels it would show, no?

The Domino biscuits have striations and compressed indents to allow for glue.

I have made my own biscuits with dark timber(Jarra) and make them slighly smaller to allow for glue.