PDA

View Full Version : HDPE for DC

Sean Hughes
12-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all your replys to earlier posts. New question here. I'm in the drainage business and can get smooth lined HDPE, the black corrugated pipe, for cheap. Does anyone know why I shouldn't use this over PVC for dust collection?

Sean

Cecil Arnold
12-30-2004, 10:42 PM
One of the people here with a bit more science in their background may be better equipted to give an answer, however the ribbed hose will cause more turbulance, thus reducing flow and increasing resistance, and tend to collect some of the heavier dust particles in the little valleys. In terms of dealing with water we would call this friction loss and turbulance.

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 10:50 PM
You want duct that is smooth inside, not corregated--Cecil eludes to the reasons why. Plastic or metal is up to you, but the amount of flex hose needs to be as minimal as possible.

Bruce Foley
12-30-2004, 11:44 PM
You want duct that is smooth inside, not corregated--Cecil eludes to the reasons why. Plastic or metal is up to you, but the amount of flex hose needs to be as minimal as possible.
I think that he's referring to a double-wall, smooth bore "Hancor" type HDPE (read smooth lined plastic culvert.) I've also used these in the field and they work great for reducing head loss with water. Now I'm not real sure how one would adapt fittings to this type of pipe, nor am I sure that manufacturing tolerances are tight enough to hold a vaccum. I think that the losses would be very high on the fittings. All my thoughts are mere speculation, anyone try this type of pipe?? I too would like to use this readily available material. Looks like too much work to get satisfactory results though.

Bruce Foley