PDA

View Full Version : JET JJP-12 Finish Question

greg a bender
11-26-2010, 2:20 PM
I have the crazies to replace my venerable INCA 550 planer / joiner with a new JET JJP-12. WHY?

Reason - Newer, A bit larger capacity, and SHINY. :D

Question to any that have the JET, how is the finish quality?
My INCA on slow speed produces lumber that really does not need sanding-very straight and smooth. OTOH it is over 30 years old with minor use.

I am really interested in others experience with the JET. This is from a serious hobby standpoint, not production.

I only have 3 days to make up my mind due to the sale, so...

And yes, if I had the shop space, I would have separate machines, but I don't, so a combo works for me.

Thanks for any thoughts

Greg

John Coloccia
11-26-2010, 2:36 PM
What type of work are you doing? I find mine to be pretty good on most wood, but it can be rough on figured woods if you're not careful. The spiral head wasn't available when I bought mine, but upgrading to a spiral head is on my list of things to do when I get around to it.

Anyhow, I don't find it any better or worse than any other straight knife cutter I've played with. The 12" width is an advantage as that lets you pass things at a slight angle, getting something of a shear cut, and that helps. If you can afford the spiral cutter, I would get that and I think you'll be very happy. You'll probably be happy with the straight cutter too. I'm generally happy with mine. Like you, if I had the room I'd rather have separate units but I simply don't have the room, and the JJP12 is a nice machine with good features, easy changeover and the right price. It probably won't be as good a finish as your old planer with a slower feed speed. I do wish I could slow down the Jet sometimes, but not enough to tear into it and do some serious surgery.

Just my opinion.

Phil Thien
11-26-2010, 3:44 PM
Everything I've read indicates that the Byrd heads produce less tear-out, but do require some sanding. Kind of a trade-off.

OTOH, if you were going to get the straight-knived Jet, then I think that may be a pointless upgrade.

Matt Meiser
11-26-2010, 3:58 PM
On Byrd heads: I put a Byrd head in my jointer last year. Now I want one bad in my planer. I'm finding myself face jointing the face that is going to be visible and planing the "back" to thickness.