PDA

View Full Version : Blum tandem slide question

Charlie McGuire
11-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I bought some blum tandem drawer slides with blumotion (562H4570B). I also bought the following rear mount brackets. It is a face frame application.

http://ahturf.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=882_884_916&product_id=29481

The problem is that these rear mount brackets are too long and push the drawer slide out about 1/4" too far. My interior cabinet depth (as measured by Blum docs) is 20" so I am in tolerance as far as blum specs.

My question is. How do folks mount these slides? I'm not wedded to a particular method, but I am looking for the easiest as far as successful alignment, etc.

If you mount use a rear mount, what brackets do you use ?

Thanks,
Charlie

Dan Friedrichs
11-26-2010, 1:16 PM
I've always used these:
http://wwhardware.com/media/products/b/b295_3750.jpg

Which are Woodworker's Hardware pn# B295.3750
I'm not sure why they make both a plastic and metal version (or why the plastic version you show is so thick??)...

Otherwise, you can stack little blocks/shims to the cabinet sides so you can use any of those mounting holes on the sides of the slides.

frank shic
11-26-2010, 1:20 PM
i usually mount those to the sides of the cabinet directly but in a face frame application i would fur out the sides to make up for the gap between the slide and the cabinet side. i've used those rear mounting brackets in the past but they're a pain to align since you've got to deal with two axis(es?) whereas by bumping out the sides you just have to deal with the vertical positioning. you'll love the sliding action on those puppies once you've got them installed though. don't forget you'll need to either cut out the bottom of the rear drawer wall or notch it for the slides. if you get on the blum website, they have pretty good documentation on all the specifics.

http://www.blum.com/us/en/02/30/41/index.php

Charlie McGuire
11-26-2010, 1:26 PM
Thanks guys! I'll test out the other rear mounts and see which is easier.

Charlie

Mark Rakestraw
11-26-2010, 4:40 PM
Hi Charlie,
I also use the metal brackets that Dan shows. They can be painless to install. Measure from the top of the rail where the slide will sit to the cabinet floor and cut a scrap stick to that length. Then push the bracket onto the slide and center the side to side "slop" that is built into the connection. Set the slide in place letting it rest on the rail in front and on the stick in the rear (the rear of the slide should sit on the stick, not the bracket). Drive a screw to hold the front of the slide in place, measure the distance between the slide and the side of the cab at the front, make it the same in the rear and drive a screw into the bracket to hold. Pop out the stick for use on the other side and drive a couple more screws to secure everything. The stick has held the slide at the correct height, the fact the slide can move side to side a bit in the bracket forgives any little error you may have made in holding the bracket in place in relationship to the side of the cabinet. Maybe they make a jig for this installation, but this method is fast and dependable.
Have fun

Karl Brogger
11-26-2010, 5:44 PM
Build out the sides flush with the faceframe, and screw em' in.

Robert Chapman
11-26-2010, 9:14 PM
+1 to what Frank and Carl advised. Then you can just level the slide and screw it onto the side furring/spacer.

frank shic
11-27-2010, 12:34 AM
in general i usually build base cabinets flush to the inside of the face frame and upper cabinets flush to the outside of the face frame.