PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Laser burning issue

tom casey
11-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I am using a Legend laser with Vista 32 Bit and trying to laser wooden objects. The objects look awesome but there is dots that are appearing all around the objects that should not be there. In illustrator it looks white around object but they still show up. I have drawn a white box behind the letters and the dots still show up. I am a little troubled my this, I never have this problem when I use the univerasal laser that we have. any help would be a life saver.

Doug Griffith
11-26-2010, 12:15 PM
One thought is that your color mode is CMYK instead of RGB.

tom casey
11-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Doug I just tried it and has no effect. When I send from Illustrator should i use a certain type of RGB. For instanced Adobe RGB 1998 or the default option with the driver?

Doug Griffith
11-26-2010, 1:15 PM
RGB type shouldn't make a difference.

A few more thoughts:
1) going from CMYK to RGB maintains the color separation settings of CMYK. For example RGB black may convert to 35,31,31 depending on your settings. It will not be 0,0,0. This may also be affecting your white. It may be 1,1,1 which would generate the dot pattern you describe.
2) I would not use white in a line art illustration. I would use transparent and knock out vector lines instead of masking them.

Josh Richard
11-26-2010, 1:29 PM
I have learned that a vector line "hidden" by a raster will still show up in printing. Just because a line is not seen does not mean it is not there in Illustrator.

Larry Bratton
11-26-2010, 1:51 PM
Are you by any chance doing a photograph?

John Noell
11-26-2010, 2:27 PM
If you post a picture and/or the file it would help greatly in diagnosing the problem.

tom casey
11-26-2010, 4:17 PM
thank you for all of the responses. Using any image all of them rasters I get the dots I will look at the setting on the driver for the laser. Thank you all

tom casey
11-26-2010, 5:16 PM
sorry this is the best i could do

Bruce Volden
11-26-2010, 5:28 PM
Looks like it's "greyscaling" to me. Is this a file made from scratch or one that is taken from internet, scanner, imported etc....One way to tell is to bring it into PP and use the eyedropper in a "supposed" white area, this would tell you if the white is correct and not a varying shade of grey??

Bruce

David Fairfield
11-26-2010, 5:41 PM
yeh, there's definitely something in the image which the print driver is interpreting as something other than pure white.

I like Bruce's idea for diagnosing the problem. Also try another file in Illustrator, but draw it yourself from scratch, a couple of letters on a completely white field, and check that the greyscale reads 0%. See what happens when you print it.

Dave

tom casey
11-26-2010, 5:45 PM
Roger that I will try it now.

Doug Griffith
11-26-2010, 6:00 PM
Also, if you are placing a bitmap, make sure the bitmap is RGB, the background color is 0,0,0 and the format is a TIFF.

I'd also experiment with Object:Flatten Transparency. Flatten it and see if that helps.

Also, if the text is vector, I'd outline it just to get rid of a variable for error.

Joe Pelonio
11-26-2010, 7:09 PM
Sometimes simply adjusting the brightness and contrast will enable you to get rid of the phantom white background problems.

Ross Lowry
11-26-2010, 7:24 PM
Hey Tom,

Are you using Corel Draw X5 by chance?
If so go to Epilogs site and they will tell you what you need to do to fix that problem. Its a setting in Corel.
Hope this helps.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
11-27-2010, 3:11 AM
Hi,

When you see your image in CMYK pattern, it will show white, once you change to RGB pattern, it will not like white, you have to drag to white and try engraving you would get your problem solved,

Else see your dpi setting change

rgds,
Saravanakumar

Dan Hintz
11-27-2010, 6:26 PM
The background is definitely not pure white... the easiest method in this case is to convert # of colors down to 2.

tom casey
11-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Sorry for not getting back sooner everyone in the house got sick. Not fun when the little guy is only 3 months old. Iam installing Corel tonight, I will get back to all of you after. I can't thank all of you enough.

tom casey
12-07-2010, 7:41 AM
Hey, Just wanted to say thank you for the help everyone, I installed Corel and got it to work just fine. Have a great holiday. Pictures to come.