PDA

View Full Version : run away bowl

Dennis Simmons
11-26-2010, 8:26 AM
I have been using a wood lathe for 50 years, and this is the first object to come off my lathe. It hit my arm, I thought it was broken, then it smacked the concrete floor, it then rolled out of the shop and went about 30 feet, before I caught it. My only concern was I had lost this nice block of wood. It was turning the lowest speed. I put it back in the lathe and saved it. whew
This is Spanish Cedar.

John Keeton
11-26-2010, 8:39 AM
Dale, two unusual stories in this thread!! First, turning for 50 years and only having one launch - nearly unheard of! And, being able to save a beautiful piece of wood after such an event! You were born lucky!:D;)

Very nice bowl, and that Spanish cedar has some wonderful figure. I hear folks talk about Spanish cedar - particularly with humidor work - but, I have never seen any of it. This must be an extraordinary example.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2010, 8:57 AM
Nice bowl, nice wood, nice save!

Robert McGowen
11-26-2010, 9:27 AM
It hit my arm, I thought it was broken, then it ...............

Would that be the bowl or your arm that you are referring to? :eek:

That wood does look like it was worth the adventure though!

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Wow! Hope your arm is OK!

Beautiful bowl! Love the wood! Glad you were able to find and finish the blank!

Marc Himes
11-26-2010, 10:05 AM
That is a beautiful bowl. Great save.

Marc Himes

Michael James
11-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice save Dennis, that is very beautiful wood. I've only seen the cigar boxes before and none with that figure. Uhhhhhhhhhhhh how fast is your slowest setting that launches a bowl off your arm for another 30 ft?:eek:
Glad neither you nor the bowl are damaged!

Dennis Simmons
11-26-2010, 5:28 PM
I have a friend that owns a mill works co. He made some eave suports for a project using 3 in. Spanish cedar, he cut this blank off the end of one of the boards he ordered, he called me to come get it, and make something, I studied it for weeks, and got three bowls and a candle stand out of it. My most favorite wood to turn is Sapele. I have always been careful about what I do on the lathe, my fathers brother was killed on a lathe. Do something dumb, without thinking will get you in trouble.

Dennis Simmons
11-26-2010, 5:41 PM
I thought my arm was broken. I did not state, that the bowl was complete, and I was touching up the base when I had a snag. The comment about being born lucky, I think someone is watching over me.

George Guadiane
11-26-2010, 7:52 PM
Great Save!
Nice Bowl!!

Baxter Smith
11-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Beautiful piece of wood. Good save. I have yet to be hit by a bowl but I have seen a few of mine bounce across the shop.:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Beautiful piece and a nice save.