PDA

View Full Version : A Chestnut Tribute to Schlumpf!!

John Keeton
11-26-2010, 8:03 AM
A few days ago, I decided I would turn a utility bowl - not my favorite thing, but I do have several bowl size blanks that need to be turned - or sold. This HF thing has overtaken my will!:eek::D

I pulled down a piece of chestnut - I presume Chinese Chestnut, as it does not have the texture of the American Chestnut I have used in flatwork. To my surprise, the blank had significant figure to it, and, much as I tried, I could not bring myself to do a bowl from it!:o

I have always been amazed and inspired by the beautiful and simply elegant SW forms that Steve does. The color and texture of this wood was perfect! It would become a SW form - my first.

5 1/8" wide x 3" tall, the wall thickness is 1/8", and the opening is 1 3/16". I loved turning this chestnut!! Wonderful texture, and so easy to finish.

Most of my pieces get a high gloss finish as it seems well suited to the "artsy" stuff I like to turn. A light finish with a very tactile surface seemed more fitting for this one, so it has a couple coats of WOP, and double buffed - no wax. Ren wax may end up being applied later, but I am concerned about getting too much gloss.

I fear it was a mistake turning this piece - my order for two books on SW forms and symbols has been shipped!:eek: The width and depth of this vortex is beyond comprehension!!!

Comment and critique welcome!

Thom Sturgill
11-26-2010, 8:08 AM
Nice piece John. and you are right this vortex just keeps sucking up in deeper :D:eek::D

Clint Baxter
11-26-2010, 8:11 AM
Nice wood there John. I'm finding myself drawn to that similar shape as well, and have one roughout that I just pulled from a DNA soak yesterday. I look forward to seeing what you come up with after your forthcoming "research materials."

Long live the vortex. May it consume us all:D

Clint

Ken Hill
11-26-2010, 8:12 AM
You are just weak willed John.....;)

Nice piece in any regard!!

Dale Bright
11-26-2010, 8:46 AM
John, this is a great piece. I posted this just now over at WOW:

"Very nicely done, John. This is the first HF I have seen from you that did not have a finial and/or a pedestal base. I really like this one, the beauty of the wood, your form and the finish."

You mentioned a tactal surface and low sheen, I do most of my forms that way and the method that works for me is: to sand to 400 or 600 (depends on the wood), a couple of coats of walnut oil, buffing with tripoli and then a very light application of Ren Wax.

Again, very well done, John,

Dale

Jim Burr
11-26-2010, 8:47 AM
...take me to your leader...Resistance is futile...and a good thing too! Very nice shape Mr Keeton. Any pictures of the bottom?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2010, 8:51 AM
John......I think Steve will approve! Nicely done John.

Roger Chandler
11-26-2010, 8:54 AM
Very well done form, John. Personally, I like Chinese chestnut.........the pieces I have turned surprised me at the way the curlees flew off the gouge, and hollowing tools I have.

That is a pretty blank and you are correct about the nice grain figure.....the ones so far I have done were not that figured.

I think you had better come back to the bowl side, at least once in a while to keep your feet on the ground and your head clear of that rarefied "artsy air" and to keep you humble ;):D a table leg now and then would be good as well, but then you would be forced to build a table to put them on, and then it would balance your life with flatwork again.............

And then we would have "good ole' John back from time to time ;):D

Harvey Ghesser
11-26-2010, 9:05 AM
Beautiful SWHF, John. And I'm sure it's very much appreciated by Steve!:)

Robert McGowen
11-26-2010, 9:30 AM
Looks like you nailed the form on the first try!

Rick Robbins
11-26-2010, 9:33 AM
that is a very colorful Turn love all the Fig. Rick

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-26-2010, 9:37 AM
Really sweet, John. No finial but artsy just the same. I would imagine even a salad bowl made by you would be artsy. I spend quite a bit of time looking and reading however, I am not getting any better at figuring out what some of the abbreviations mean. To me SW always meant "down and to the right". Now I find there is a turning term with the same initials.
faust

Michael James
11-26-2010, 9:56 AM
We've got all sorts of styles and I think you'll be surprised at some of the forms. When you get into new mexican cooking, I can work on grandfathering you in! There are no benefits, but we are a poor state.
Nice one John. IMO you could probably get away up to a semigloss depending on the material. If it's out of place there, I have plenty of room here to disyplay it for you.:D
Michael

John Keeton
11-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks, guys! The blank that this piece came from was nearly 12", so I have enough for another form - but, it will probably not end up being a SW form due to the size.

Michael, I have even looked at doing a piece that includes some different species, and attempting some beadwork influenced by Jim Adkins with pyro thrown in. I have it in my mind - if I can just convince the rest of me that I can do it!!:confused: And, this buffed finish is approaching a semi-gloss, I think.

I am excited about getting the books and studying up on this topic.

Any pictures of the bottom?Jim, I usually like to "doll up" the bottom, but on this one I didn't have much thickness to play with. There is a small ogee and bead - not sure one can tell from the pics.

Marc Himes
11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Very nice piece, great wood, wonderful form and excellent photo.

Marc Himes

Curt Fuller
11-26-2010, 10:19 AM
John, in my humble opinion, this is your finest piece so far. I'm also a disciple of Steve's great southwest forms so this piece naturally looks great to me. But even more I love the wood and the finish. It's hard to beat a HF for showing off everything a piece of wood has to offer. And this piece of wood has it all. Then, keeping the finish simple really lets that beautiful wood show its stuff.

David E Keller
11-26-2010, 10:33 AM
John, in my humble opinion, this is your finest piece so far. I'm also a disciple of Steve's great southwest forms so this piece naturally looks great to me. But even more I love the wood and the finish. It's hard to beat a HF for showing off everything a piece of wood has to offer. And this piece of wood has it all. Then, keeping the finish simple really lets that beautiful wood show its stuff.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Nice piece!

gary Zimmel
11-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Another beautiful piece john.

bob svoboda
11-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Very nice, John.

Bill Bolen
11-26-2010, 10:40 AM
John you did Steve proud! A fine flowing SW form on an attractive piece of wood...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2010, 10:54 AM
John - thanks for the honors - you did good!

I think a lot of folks know that I love the SW (Southwestern) style of hollow forms! To me - it is the combination of beautiful wood and simple flowing curves that make them so attractive!

You did a great job on this! The form is spot-on and I even like the soft finish!

Looking forward to seeing where this takes you! I do think you will enjoy it as much or even more than the artsy side of things! Have fun!

Scott Hackler
11-26-2010, 11:27 AM
What a beautiful chuck of wood and you nailed the form. Very,very pleasant to the eye. Great job John.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2010, 11:50 AM
John that is a beautiful piece. Really like the form and the wood is awesome. I see what you mean about not wanting a bowl out of it.

Rob Cunningham
11-26-2010, 1:08 PM
That's a beautiful HF John. You made the right decision not turning it into a bowl.

charlie knighton
11-26-2010, 2:43 PM
The width and depth of this vortex is beyond comprehension!!!

one thing leads to another, each path must be climbed, ha ha ha :D

John Keeton
11-26-2010, 3:24 PM
I really appreciate the kind comments - this was a fun piece, and very satisfying, as well. I do look forward to studying some of the forms and doing some more.

And, as luck would have it:rolleyes:, Mike Smith still has a flitch of this chestnut left and my order has been placed for more!!!:D
one thing leads to another, each path must be climbed, ha ha ha :DCharlie, I think the problem lies in the route consisting of a maze of paths with no possible end!!!:eek:

Jeff Nicol
11-26-2010, 3:37 PM
John, The wood alone could have been sanded on all sides as a blank and finished and would have been beautiful, but you let the inner art out to shine brighter. We really never inprove on God's work we just put it in a different perspective.

You did a great job and I wish I had a truck load of chestnut with that much character in it. Instead all I get is a truck load of Box Elder! Just have to go get it and see what is inside.

Very nice,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
11-26-2010, 10:14 PM
John, thats a beautiful piece of wood with a shape of equal stature. I think the finish is very appropriate.

steven carter
11-27-2010, 8:33 PM
John Schumpf,...... er I mean Keeton, very nice SW HF. The wood is gorgeous, as is the form and finish. I would like to get my hands on some American Chestnut, my father grew up in southwest Virginia and tells stories of the mountains being white with chestnut blossoms in the spring. On I-40 at a rest stop in North Carolina a guy has turnings on display and last time I was there he had an American chestnut bowl that was beautiful, the card said he found some downed chestnut back in the hills that was still good. I understand it lasts a long time.

Steve

John Keeton
11-27-2010, 8:58 PM
Baxter, Jeff - thanks!

Steve, next time you are passing through let me know and I will give you a chunk of wormy American chestnut!! I had a couple of barn beams, and still have some left. The texture is much different from this Chinese chestnut. I didn't enjoy working with it at all, but I see it selling for outrageous prices.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-27-2010, 9:05 PM
John, wonderful work and a fitting tribute. You're quite a guy.:)

Aaron Wingert
11-28-2010, 1:16 AM
John that piece is definitely one of your best. The chestnut rivals the neat figure of the best claro walnut! Gorgeous work.

Rick Markham
11-28-2010, 1:23 AM
That's really spectacular! The form is really fluid, and the grain fits it perfectly, It looks very robust yet delicate with the thin sides. It looks like a perfect subject for a still life drawing, the finish definitely fits it perfectly as well.

Tim Rinehart
11-28-2010, 9:29 PM
For your Chestnut encore, may I suggest a piece of true American Chestnut, in burl... ebay, item #300468206591. It was $1000, but has been reduced!!

Yea, a little pricey, and you'll have to borrow a bigger lathe...but the rewards!
Beautiful job on the SW form, it's my favorite as well, and one that I'm naturally drawn to when I turn.

John Keeton
11-29-2010, 7:23 AM
Nah, Tim, too much pith!!!!:eek:;):D That is impressive, though, and thanks for your comments.

And, thanks Rick, Aaron and Chris, for the kind words!!

Mark Hubl
11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
A beautiful piece of wood and well executed "Schlumpf" form. I love SW forms. Each spring we go to Scottsdale for Spring Training. I find myself spending hours wandering through the souvenir stores and galleries just looking at all the pottery and imagery. Certainly inspirational, but it seems to be some sort of addiction.

David DeCristoforo
11-29-2010, 7:22 PM
Nice one John! The finish is just right for this "rustic" type of work. Just enough sheen to let you know it's silky smooth. More to come?

John Keeton
11-29-2010, 7:32 PM
Thanks Mark!
More to come?Probably! Just received the first of the two books I ordered on SW forms, and notification from Mike Smith that my additional chestnut blanks shipped (along with a fresh supply of Claro!!):D;)