PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting an Emmert Dilemma, Pics and Q's

Ben Martin
11-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I need some help from you guys on this one, this week I was able to score an Emmerto vise, I guess it is the Italian version of an Emmert. :D

Ok, but seriously, it was posted twice on CL and I couldn't resist the second time, you just can't dangle a carrot in front of me for that long!

I believe by referencing the Iron Hand site that mine is a T5 model, the only thing different is the turtleback on mine doesn't say USA on it like the other ones (maybe it really is Italian...). It is in great condition, the only problem is a small chip on the face, which should easily be filled with some JB weld or other metal filler. Luckily it won't effect the integrity of the vise since I will install wooden jaws anyways. Oh, it is also missing the bolt that connects the adjustment rod to the vise, bummer....

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Emmert%20Pattern%20Makers%20Vise/702570717_photobucket_15180_.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Emmert%20Pattern%20Makers%20Vise/702570717_photobucket_15183_.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Emmert%20Pattern%20Makers%20Vise/702570717_photobucket_15184_.jpg

The hinge is frozen up, but all other adjustments work well, looks like this will need to spend some time in the electrolysis tank and get a fresh coat of paint, I am thinking white with gold lettering.

Ok, now on to my dilemma, some of you might remember the beautiful turn of the century Christiansen bench I scored a while back (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=147641): (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=147641%29:)

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Christiansen%20Workbench/330621040_photobucket_12816_.jpg

What is your guys input on retro-fitting this bench to accept the Emmert? (This picture shows the location of the bench in my shop...)

I am a little iffy on it, the bench has survived 100 years in tact, it would be a shame for me to put an end to that. I could always retrofit it somehow as a tail vise of sorts, but putting it on the end would seem to loose some of the functionality since I have a small shop and the vise would be close to the wall.

Now, building a new bench isn't entirely out of the question, but the project list is pretty long and that is why I bought the Christiansen, instant gratification. I have no immediate need for the Emmert, so I can always shelve it for a while.

Now a third possible choice is installing it on my MDF outfeed table, but I have a feeling the weight of the Emmert will quickly warp the 1 1/2" thick top. Also ignoring the fact that installing an Emmert onto MDF would be a bit of a sacrilege.

I just wanted to get your guy's input on what you would do with my bench/vise situation/dilemma/opporotunity.

Another random question, will the tilting jaw insert fit my vise? I have a friend that has one and he has offered to send it out to be re-cast for me, he has some other parts going out so it wouldn't be a big problem.

Ben

PS. In case you didn't get it, the vise was listed as an Emmerto...

Alice Frampton
11-26-2010, 6:08 AM
Ben, nice score.

I've gone (am going) through a similar dilemma (my blog entries on the matter (http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/search/label/emmert)) and came to the conclusion that a dedicated bench for the Emmert was the way to go. Not that it's happened yet, but in theory. :o It seems to be nightmare enough fitting the thing to a bench built for the purpose, never mind trying to retrofit. Good luck with it.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. White with gold lettering? Really? It looks really nice in black, y'know.:cool:

dan grant
11-26-2010, 7:00 AM
dont think i would attach the vise to that bench, i have youst vise with a chunk out almost in the same spot as yours, it sits on a dolly under the bench and sometimes i bring it out to look at, :)

Dave Anderson NH
11-26-2010, 9:46 AM
I do not think it will work Ben. You really don't have enough overhang at either end to mount the vise AND the adjuisting rod and its locking lever. Installation of an Emmert is major surgery even on a new bench and you will need the ability to turn the top upside down to hog out the semicircular recess for the hub. I would consider a new mini-bench or some sort of two legged arrangement mounted off a support pole if yours is a basement shop.

george wilson
11-26-2010, 9:49 AM
You will ruin that bench trying to install the monster Emmert. Simply not enough room. If you put it in the middle,you will ruin use of the bench dog holes.

Mike Siemsen
11-26-2010, 6:03 PM
I am with the others that it would ruin that bench to hang an Emmerto on it. Glue up some 2 x 4s into a top and attach the Emmerto to that. Work out all of the details and problems on the cheap material.
Mike

Walter Plummer
11-26-2010, 6:08 PM
Hi Ben. I am just finishing up what you are starting. See my post here: www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=152092 Build a new and heavy bench. I am building a copy of the Mattson bench from the original Workbench book by Scott Landis. My top is 2 3/8" thick laminated plywood strips with a 1 1/4" soft maple edge. Each half top weighs 110 pounds. The vise is mounted right beside a leg and the weight of it is trying to lift the other side of my top. Do not under estimate what that weight can do.

Jon van der Linden
11-26-2010, 6:15 PM
Since you're missing the bolt... I assume that also means you're missing the handle that would attach to it. If you want it to match the other handle as it should, then you have some work ahead of you.

Forget about attaching it to an MDF bench, that stuff doesn't have the strength to hold such a heavy vise even at 1 1/2". It might not break, but it will certainly warp.

I think you got two projects for the price of one!:D It will be worth it in the end though.

Jim Koepke
11-26-2010, 8:42 PM
Make a new out feed bench with the Emmert fitted to it.

That may be the best solution.

jtk

Ben Martin
11-26-2010, 9:15 PM
Make a new out feed bench with the Emmert fitted to it.

That may be the best solution.

jtk

I think that this will probably be the best solution for me, I have a load of old growth douglas fir from my families farm that would make a great bench!

I just need to get it kiln dried to kill those powder post beetles.

Unfortunately my out feed sits up against the wall on the RH side, so I don't think the bench will have a usable tail vise. I would probably install one anyways for the pipe dream of having a bigger shop.

Also, the handle is on the vise, you can see it in the second picture. (unless it is supposed to have two?)

Ben

Walter Plummer
11-27-2010, 9:49 AM
I think this is your missing bolt. Hope this helps. Walt

Ben Martin
11-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I think this is your missing bolt. Hope this helps. Walt

Awesome! Thanks Walt, I have a metal lathe so making one shouldn't be a problem.

Rich Purdum
11-27-2010, 10:31 AM
...I have a metal lathe...

Ben, in case you wanted to reduce the project list you might consider an off the shelf bolt and a short length of 5/8 tubing to act as the shoulder. OTOH, if you've got the lathe and the skill go for it.