PDA

View Full Version : Another Disston No. 7 rehab.

Andrew Recher
11-25-2010, 9:47 PM
I bought this one last weekend at an antiques store. It was a little rough overall but the plate is straight and the teeth were very good. With the half price sale, I couldn't pass it up. There was also what I think is a Harvey Peace at that store but it was much worse than this one. It was a shorter saw and the plate was pretty used and twisted up, cool handle though. For this one I just copied the style of the original handle using a piece of walnut that had a little curl. This is my second completed saw handle and I'm already looking for another to work on!

I just touched up the teeth, as they were, and it practically flew through a piece of 1x pine. Now I need to work up the nerve to try filing a crosscut saw and build one of those fancy saw vises :) I've been seeing around here.

Comments and criticisms are more than welcome.
Thanks

The before pics are in this other thread (post #4):
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=152745

Marv Werner
11-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Andrew,

That is just plain nice work. That's my favorite No.7 handle design.

Dan Hahr
11-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Wow. A very good use of grain figure. I think it really makes the saw.
Good job, Dan

george wilson
11-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Very nice,crisp,accurate work. Nice finish too. Shows the figure up well.

Mike Zilis
11-25-2010, 11:35 PM
That handle is stunning. I aspire to be able to do that some day. Great work!

-Mike

Andrew Recher
11-27-2010, 7:49 PM
Wow. A very good use of grain figure. I think it really makes the saw.
Good job, Dan

Thanks to all for the kind words! This is a lot of fun for me and doesn't cost much to do. I just won an auction for six old saws. None of them look like anything special but some may be good users + I need a few saw nuts for some other saws.

Dan, the wood is from a big walnut tree we had removed from our suburban yard about a year and a half ago. This was from the upper butt log. I had to trim a lot of rotten areas out of that log but I saved as much of these curly pieces as I could. I think they'll be great for things like this.

George, Thanks. The finish is a mix of B.L.O, and Formby's Tung oil with mineral spirits to thin it and help it sink in (5 coats-dries pretty quick). Then a coat of Johnson's paste wax. I read of a similar mixture somewhere and thought I'd give it a try-seems to work well for me.

Robert Culver
11-27-2010, 9:15 PM
man thats some nice looking wood know I need to get busy utting some more blanks:rolleyes:

Jonathan McCullough
11-28-2010, 9:25 AM
Beautiful wood and great job. You really used the wood to your advantage.