PDA

View Full Version : LV vise comparison

Phillip Ngan
11-25-2010, 9:09 PM
I was wondering if people could comment about the new LV Insert Vise versus their Surface Vise. They both look like they can be used instead of a tail vise, at a similar price, but the surface vise looks more versatile because you can move it around on the bench.

paul cottingham
11-26-2010, 12:13 AM
I was wondering if people could comment about the new LV Insert Vise versus their Surface Vise. They both look like they can be used instead of a tail vise, at a similar price, but the surface vise looks more versatile because you can move it around on the bench.
I just installed the insert vice, and I love it. The surface vice would get in the way planing, so I opted for the built in.

It rocks.

Rob Lee
11-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Hi Phillip -

You're asking a tough question - as all of those vises are built with different ranges of utility in mind...

The tail vise is intended to be a primary vise, on a bench that should last at least one lifetime. It's engineered for heavy use.... and significant forces.

The surface vise gives you the ability to apply a force along an axis, on a surface. For most people - this will be a bench with round dog holes - but it could be a sawhorse, a wall.... or ... anywhere you can drill 3+ holes. It a special application wonder dog - in that it doesn't pivot.... and the handle can hang over the edge of the surface for rapid in-out adjustment.

The inset vise can be easily installed flush in a surface (again - not necessarily a bench). It provide similar function to a wagon vise - but is easy to retrofit. It can also be used in multiples for clamping\assembly fixtures. Think of it as a permanently mounted flush wonder dog (where only the head sticks up.... so wouldn't it be a prairie dog??? :rolleyes: )

I don't think either of the smaller vises replace a tail vise... nor does the inset vise replace a wagon vise. They are intended though, to provide similar functions, at a different price point, and to complement standard vises.

Cheers -

Rob

PS - I'd also note here that we've stayed away from wagon vises - as Jameel (Benchcrafted) make a good one already. I've mentioned before that we has a different take on the wagon vise function - and that's what our surface vise is. If you're looking for a wagon vise - I can certainly recommend the Benchcrafted one.