PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a sacrificial fence to a Biesemeyer

Herb Blair
12-30-2004, 9:53 PM
How are you guys with a Biesemeyer fence attaching a sacrificial fence to it?

George Summers
12-30-2004, 10:33 PM
I have the PowerMatic Accu-Fence clone of the Beis. I made an auxillary fence in the shape of a lower case 'h'. The tall side (mine is about 7" tall)goes on the blade side of the fence and the inside is basically a force fit over the fence. I used 3/4" birch ply. I can now clamp anything I want to the tall side, including a sacrificial fence for rabbits with a dado blade. The tallness of it also allows me to hold a workpiece vertically for slotting, etc.

George

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 10:53 PM
I have my Biesemeyer style (Xacta) fence setup to take Jim Tolpin's system as detailed in his book, Tablesaw Magic, including a tall fence. But I also just use two quick clamps to hold a sacrificial fence when necessary.

Ernie Kuhn
12-31-2004, 4:02 AM
I've been wondering how those of you with this fence or a clone, attach a higher (7"-10") auxilary fence when this is only 2 1/2" high? Seems like the 2 1/2" height isn't very much support for a higher fence and still keep it vertical to the saw table surface?

Ernie

Tyler Howell
12-31-2004, 9:53 AM
Bies sells an auxillary fence and stop blocks (ala Norm) with their own clamping system. In a moment of weakness (and lack of imagination:o ) I picked up the aux fence. I also secured the Grip Tite metal fence to it and was able to adapt it to the PM.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13783&stc=1

Ted Shrader
12-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Tyler -

That must be an OLD picture. It looks like you were actually using your PM66! :) :D ;) :)
-----------------------
Herb -

Mine is similar setup to George's. But an upper case H. Just one leg isn't as tall. Made from MDF faced with scrap Formica<sup>®</sup>. Just clamp what you need to it.

Ted

Tyler Howell
12-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Ted,

There are no rip or cross cut hand saws in my present or future. Some things are worth killing electrons for.:p

Tyler -

That must be an OLD picture. It looks like you were actually using your PM66! :) :D ;) :)
-----------------------
Herb -

Mine is similar setup to George's. But an upper case H. Just one leg isn't as tall. Made from MDF faced with scrap Formica<SUP>®</SUP>. Just clamp what you need to it.

Ted

Mark Singer
12-31-2004, 10:38 AM
I just use a couple of clamps.

David LaRue
12-31-2004, 10:50 AM
I have several different exmples of auxliary fences that fit over my Accufence on my personal website. (look under profile)

http://home.comcast.net/~mywoodshop/assets/images/Dado-Sac-Fence-300.jpg
Second example:

http://home.comcast.net/~mywoodshop/assets/images/autogen/a_Grip-Tites-and-Fence-400.jpg

Dave :)

Byron Trantham
12-31-2004, 4:36 PM
I use a piece of 3/4" mdf and a couple of quick clamps. I have considered trying to build a fence that straddles the Bies but haven't done it yet. ;)

Terre Hooks
12-31-2004, 5:17 PM
I attach one with a 6" Bessey clamp at each end.

Chad Pater
12-31-2004, 8:31 PM
Couple of clamps here too.