PDA

View Full Version : New scrub plane

Mark Baldwin III
11-25-2010, 8:36 PM
After dinner with the family, I put the finishing touches on my new scrub. It is 10.5" long, with a 1.5" iron. The iron is a replacement for an LN. The sides are cocobolo, the sole is bolivian rosewood, and the core is zebrawood. The finish is tung oil. It's a mean little brute and takes a nice thick shaving just like it is meant to. I learned a few new lessons building it...next time I use a sole plate, I will cut the mouth first. I was having fun with the grain on the bed...but that cost me the match on the heel. Last lesson, I should have made the core a little skinnier, but I cut it before I remembered to do so. Anyway, I think it turned out OK for my 3rd scratch made plane.
BTW...the zebrawood was picked just to poke a little fun. I know some here think it's a bit over the top (which it is).

Robert Culver
11-25-2010, 8:40 PM
that some pretty awsome stuff right there Maybe someday I should give this a shot....

john brenton
11-25-2010, 8:53 PM
You don't find it a little uncomfortable not to have anything to hold onto beside the body? I think the next one would look sharp with a modern looking "horn" on the front. Maybe something similar to the shape of the hand hold in the back, but on the front at about a 45 degree so you can grip the front of the plane with your fingers and grab the little horn with your thumb. You know what I'm saying?

I don't mean to critique at all, it's just what struck me when I saw it.

Mark Baldwin III
11-25-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks, Robert. I'm sure that if you built a plane like the way you made that saw handle, you'd have a pretty awesome plane.
John-Believe it or not, it's pretty comfy to hold. I can wrap my hand around the body as it's only about 2 1/2" wide. I can push down and guide left or right with only a little pressure. I do see what you're talking about, and it might be worth a shot on my next plane. I'm sure that with time, I will find a shape that really fits my hands.