PDA

View Full Version : One more "bowl"

David Reed
11-25-2010, 1:32 PM
Here is the latest "bowl" that I finished up yesterday in the cold. More of that BLM with 10-12 coats of WOP, sanded to 600. The base is hard maple ebonized with india ink and sprayed with satin polyurethane. Overall, it is 15.5" diameter and about 6 tall including the pedestal. The rim is about 5/16" thick for strength and the remainder turned down to 3/16". I am a bit bothered with the final shape of the bowl bottom as I think it has too little curve and is too flat; I did not plan well enough during the rough out and ran out of room at the bottom for the curve.
I see a bit of lint hanging on the bowl edge and fine dust on the base. Sorry for the marginal photos. I need a larger 'photo booth' / box (enjoy the cardboard etc). I am trying to upgrade my equipment and technique, just not working too hard on that as yet.
Ciao
David

Bill Bolen
11-25-2010, 1:47 PM
Dang David that is a pretty one. "Can't hold soup so it must be art" sure applies here! Loads of character....Bill...

Jim Burr
11-25-2010, 1:47 PM
I'm bothered by the fact that it's not in my house!!:D;) Amazing chunk of lumber there sir!

Ken Hill
11-25-2010, 1:56 PM
Very nice!!! Amazes me how something can turn out so well when its filled with holes and voids, great job!

Roger Chandler
11-25-2010, 2:06 PM
Boy, that is a nice one David! Great turning for sure, and you have noted the flat on the bottom.............I have done the same thing [did not plan well enough and ran out of room] more than once :eek:

great finish and I like the base..............one thing though............I would not put any soup into that bowl :eek::D:D:D it might just not stay where you put it!

Thanks for sharing this with us.........it is a beauty! :)

bob svoboda
11-25-2010, 2:15 PM
Simply gorgeous. Personally, I don't think the bottom curve distracts from the quality of the turning.

Jim Kountz
11-25-2010, 5:12 PM
Wow David I think you're being way too hard on yourself, this thing is absolutely beautiful in every way!! Love the form, love the color and wood, just amazing. Well done!!

Ray Bell
11-25-2010, 5:46 PM
Beautiful David. This would look good in any house.

John Keeton
11-25-2010, 5:59 PM
David, along with the others, let me just say it looks great!! I am somewhat amazed that it held together for you - really neat voids and loads of character. Excellent piece.

alex carey
11-25-2010, 6:31 PM
david this piece to me embodies perfection. The burl, the inclusions, the shape.

Nicely done.

Marc Himes
11-25-2010, 6:43 PM
Beautiful wood and great job turnimg and finishing it. The unusual wood and shape are unique. Very well done.

Marc Himes

Christopher K. Hartley
11-25-2010, 6:55 PM
David, I can only echo the compliments and cuddos you have received on this creation. You certainly are to be commended on this fine work. Now, let's get down to it. In your last picture there is a very distinct void in a shape very similar to the outline of the state of Texas. I believe the bowl is telling you to send it to Willis so it can have it's home in the great State of Texas. All other claims are groundless wishing dribble.:D:D:D

Charles Bouchelle
11-25-2010, 7:01 PM
If you are ashamed of this piece send here to NJ and I will hide it for you.Wonderful work,great piece of wood

James Combs
11-25-2010, 7:18 PM
David, along with the others, let me just say it looks great!! I am somewhat amazed that it held together for you - really neat voids and loads of character. Excellent piece.

I'll bet that if David had taken that proverbial "just-one-more* cut it would not be showing so well:eek::)

Cathy Schaewe
11-25-2010, 7:49 PM
Wow. Not much more to say.

David Reed
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Dang David that is a pretty one. "Can't hold soup so it must be art" sure applies here! Loads of character....Bill...

I guess your soup may be just a little too watery.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2010, 12:25 AM
David that is a beauty. Really a well done piece.

David Reed
11-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Thank you all for such kind words. It is really odd how different the end product is from my original intentions sometimes as in this case. And yes James, I was taking a few 'clean up' shear cuts when the whole thing started to oscillate with what seemed to be a harmonic vibration. This ended up in some chatter which no matter how lite I tried to cut, only got worse. Hand sanding saved the day.
John, I am always concerned with these fenestrated pieces blowing apart but so far so good. Often I turn and clean up the outside first then secure it with duct tape while turning the inside, cutting and finishing as I cut deeper into the piece. Here the inside later became the outside....kind of a mobius sort of thing.
Christopher, as blasphemous as it sounds, I had failed to notice the embedded image of the lone star state but I am sure some Aggie friends of mine will be certain to point that out to me as well. I guess I only expected that to appear in a Mesquite burl. I must graciously decline your offer though as the risks of shipping are just too great to such an image of this iconic state.
Thanks again for looking.

Ciao

Jim Maxwell
11-26-2010, 6:51 AM
I think it looks very very nice. Well done .
Jim

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Very interesting turning David! Great natural look to the form - sort of has that cup runneth over thing going quite well!

Beautiful wood! You should be proud of this one!

Rob Cunningham
11-26-2010, 1:12 PM
Wow. Not much more to say.

I agree with Cathy and everyone else. Fantastic work.

Baxter Smith
11-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Thats a great look for that piece of wood! I shall have to try and remember that possibility!

Don Alexander
11-27-2010, 12:00 AM
I'll bet that if David had taken that proverbial "just-one-more* cut it would not be showing so well:eek::)

hehe you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run ................. or................ just get lucky and quit messing with it before it explodes :D:D

AWESOME is the best i can do describing this piece