PDA

View Full Version : Saw Blade

Dick Tysen
11-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I had a horrible experience yesterday I watched my 10" tenyru saw blade hit the concrete floor.After saying a few words I found two carbide tips were missing.Is it better to buy a new one or should I try to find someone to repair this if it is possible.If it is possible will it be like new or will I have problems with the blade.Thanks:(

Dick Tysen

Forrest Bonner
11-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry about the loss Dick, I too have damaged a carbide-toothed 10 incher - not as expensive as yours though. In my opinion, should you have it 'repaired,' I would give it the power boat spark plug test before you use it. I believe you would have an unsafe blade.
Forrest

Jim Becker
11-25-2010, 11:40 AM
It can be repaired by any qualified blade sharpening shop. Forrest Manufacturing, for example, can do the work. I have had teeth replaced in the past by them and was very satisfied. You do want the work done by a firm that can not only attach new teeth, but that also has the right equipment to properly balance the blade post-repair.

Jim O'Dell
11-25-2010, 6:31 PM
What Jim B said. Plus, you could ask them to check the blade body to make sure there are no problems there before adding the teeth. Jim.

Bruce Wrenn
11-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Forrest can repair it, but Dynamic Saw (Dynamicsaw.com) will do it for a heck of a lot less. I had both repair blades that lost teeth, and the bill from Dynamic was about 50% of what Forrest charged. Remember that Dynamic doesn't pay for a bunch of ads in every woodworking rag each month.

Bill Huber
11-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry to hear of you problem but for $14 you can make sure it never happens again.

With the Saw Jaw the teeth are never exposed unless its on the saw.

I have use these for about 2 years now and don't think I would be without them any more, I have one for each of my main good blades.

http://www.tools-plus.com/saw-jaw-sawjaw.html?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle&utm_term=S-JSAWJAW

Dick Tysen
11-26-2010, 8:54 AM
Thank You all for responding and I will email the companies suggested.Bill I have the devices you suggested but I was to busy I thought to stop and use it.:mad:

Dick Tysen

Tom Walz
11-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, what they said.

We sell Tenryu so I know something about them.

One of the many things that makes Tenryu blades exceptional is the quality of the steel saw body and the way it is heat treated.

First, I would put a straight edge on the blade and see if the shoulders are bent where the tips came off.

The best way to do this is in a darkened room with a pretty weak light source on the other side of the saw blade. You put your straight edge on the saw blade and look for light coming under it. http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/Hammering-Saw-Blades.html

If the saw blade is not bent then try cutting with it. Even with two teeth missing the cut may be good enough.

If the cut is not good enough, any good saw shop will be able to replace the tips, check the flatness, set the tension and give you back a high quality saw blade.

It will be almost as good as new. Every time you sharpen a blade you change it just a bit. Some people never notice the difference and some do.

Tom