PDA

View Full Version : Task Force miter saw problems

Duane Bledsoe
11-25-2010, 9:28 AM
Is it normal for a saw in the $100 - $150 price range to have a motor that allows movement of the blade in a slightly out of square way?? My miter saw's blade is squared at 90 degrees with the fence, but when kicked on it is visible to the eye that the blade moves out of square the least bit, say at 89 degrees. Then returns to original position when at rest again.

With the saw off and unplugged I grasped the blade loosely in my fingers and notice that it is capable of wobbling in and out of square. However when it's running it does not wobble at all, just moves out of square but runs straight. I also checked the arbor screw for tightness and just to make sure I backed it off so that the blade was free to move and then retightened it solidly to eliminate this as a possible reason for unnatural blade movement. When the saw is running though, there is no wobble at all, just smooth straight spinning of the blade (after the initial out of square move that is).

My saw is only capable of making a cut about 5" wide (it's a 10" saw) so I found in my shop a piece of MDF about that full width, verified one edge for straightness, tested it's cut and then using the inside corner of a brand new framing square to test with I see that it still seems to cut at 90 degree right angles. I'm not sure how it can though since I know I can see the blade move when powered up but it measures 90 degrees to the fence when at rest. Also I took the same piece of MDF and placed it on the saw platform roughly within 1/16 inch of the blade and then with the blade down but not able to contact the wood I kicked it on and the blade was able to move so that it did leave marks on the end of the piece.

I've never had a real problem using this saw. Occasionally a piece of trim mitered would not line up just the way I wanted but I have always just thought it was due to working in old houses that are also out of square and plumb around every window and door. Now I wonder if the cuts are inaccurate because of blade movement that shouldn't be there.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Is it normal for a saw in the $100 - $150 price range to have a motor that allows movement of the blade in a slightly out of square way??
A non slider in that price range should have little to no runout.

Edit: I just reread part of the OP. I believe that's called lash or thrust when the armature moves laterally in the housing, not runout.
Either way, it's not a good thing & 1/16" is not only unacceptable it's potentailly dangerous.

A Taskforce really isn't in the honest $100/$150 price range though.
They're more like the $50 to $80 range.

How long have you had it?
Can you return it?

Duane Bledsoe
11-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I've had the saw for 3 years so it's beyond returning. Also it was a gift but I was there at time of purchase so that's how I knew the price range of it. It was supposed to be on clearance at Lowe's for about $100 if I remember correctly.

I want to be sure I'm describing this correctly. I compared it to my circular saw and that saw's blade will move laterally in and out a fraction of an inch but not anywhere close to 1/16. More like 1/32 or less. The miter saw however, doesn't seem to be doing even that but it will move left and right instead of in and out. I think the bearings or bushings in the motor are worn. That's the only reason I can see for it doing this.

It doesn't seem to be causing a serious problem for what I'm using it for now but as I get into woodworking and making furniture, cabinets, and other things I was hoping to get some use out of it before having to upgrade. As an onsite job saw though it's been nice. I mostly use it for convenience of cutting 2x4's that I have stacked up and marked at one consistent length when constructing walls for home renovations. It's faster than reaching for a circular saw each time. Occasionally I will use it for trimwork but not often. That's how I have not noticed this before now. It's probably been that way for awhile.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Taskforce stuff can be funny.
I have a lot of small TF stuff since Lowes is just down the street.

I got a gem of a tool w/my Taskforce 18ga. combo brad/staple pneumatic.

I've also had some bad experiences w/TF stuff too.

I've also got a Workforce (Home Depot) 8.5" slider - which is probably he same as TF w/just a different name plate.

(Didn't want you to think I was putting TF down w/my $50 to $80 comment)
Personlly - & this is just what I've done w/my Workforce slider and Ryobi 10" non slider - I'd just regulate the TF to "rough" work like you're doing and replace it with a better saw.

Amazon has some real good Black Friday specials going on right now.