PDA

View Full Version : disston #7 saw handle final take

Robert Culver
11-25-2010, 8:33 AM
Ok so I have had alot of computer issues latly but here it is all finished and bolted up. Geoge had mentioned ome thing that I could tweek a bit more and did but had to stop befor I got it totaly right some of it was due to the fact that I was conserend that it would chenge the over all look in a dramatic way maybe i could have pusshed through but I had to make that descion. I learned alot however and will be doing my next a little diffent as far as the steps I take. Let me know what you think. Im pretty happy with it For #2. I really like this panel saw and will for sure be checking for another.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac193/culverrp01/scrubplane005.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac193/culverrp01/scrubplane004.jpg

Andrew Gibson
11-25-2010, 8:38 AM
Absolutely Beautiful!!!!

I am going to have to step up my game ;)

Robert Culver
11-25-2010, 8:43 AM
what really makes this saw kick is Mark at bad axe re toothed it 15tpi and its now a cutting machine hahahaha.

Dave Beauchesne
11-25-2010, 9:20 AM
Robert:

All I can say is sweeeeet.

Dave Beauchesne

Deane Allinson
11-25-2010, 9:20 AM
That is a really nice job. Nice finish.
Deane

george wilson
11-25-2010, 9:46 AM
Looks very nice. You have taken advice well,and have made a very good handle. I am sure that your next effort will be even better. Do keep up the nice work,and get a vise to hold your work.

mike v flaim
11-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Great minds think alike. I'm doing the exact same thing right now. Nice Job!

Roy Wall
11-25-2010, 10:57 AM
The Finish, contours and design of that handle look terrific! Even though it's paired with an old saw blade ......... it blends wonderfully.

Really really nice -- thanks for the look!

Robert Culver
11-25-2010, 3:26 PM
thnks for all the kind works Im pretty happy with it. Now if I can just get the courage up to do it in some cury walunt.....:D

Tom Hartranft
11-25-2010, 5:11 PM
+ 1 ... nicely done.

Tom

Klaus Kretschmar
11-25-2010, 5:37 PM
Wow Robert!

You did a wonderful job for sure. I enjoyed to follow the evolution of this handle you showed in several posts. Now seeing the completed saw it looks terrific. The saw is a beauty and you should be very proud! May I ask you what finish you used finally? It looks perfect.

Klaus

John Powers
11-25-2010, 5:58 PM
Very nice. A pleasure just to look at it.

Robert Culver
11-25-2010, 8:02 PM
I wet sanded it with amber shellac to fill the pores. Then buffed in a couple coats of teak oil and finished it off with a coat of bees wax. I like bees wax because its nateral and isnt really slick feeling I buy it in raw its a little tougher to apply but when its buffued out is pretty nice.

David Christopher
11-25-2010, 8:08 PM
Robert, that handle is beautiful

Robert Culver
11-25-2010, 8:22 PM
Klaus thanks Im glad you enjoyed its transition I really am greatful for everybodys posative notes and helpful advise . thanks for the finishing advise Im sure its not really the best I could do as it was my first go and I took a little work to get it like this but I learned enough to like it enough to do it again. the key I think is working small areas at a time.... I guess I would explain it as kinda easy as long as you dont overthink.... it has a nice soft feel to it but not slick I REALLLLYYYY like it. One of the bigest things I like abou it is the clarity of the end grain.