PDA

View Full Version : Work, Age, Time & Woodworking Dreams...

ian maybury
11-25-2010, 7:22 AM
Some musings from the trenches, pardon if they don't fit here.

I've been refurbishing my shop to go professional for the past year - researching and sourcing tools, machines and equipment; planning layout and flows, whacking holes and installing new doorways through walls, building and installing a full inverter powered Pentz ducted dust system, installing plumbing and heating, rewiring, installing lighting, building a bench, installing storage and so on.

And guess what! I was quite certain when starting out that I'd be finished months ago. It's really turned out to be quite an odyssey.

The end is coming into sight now as I'm in the middle of wiring etc, and the rest mostly just a matter of grunting out the hands on work. Apart from incidentals the hardware is pretty much all in stock.

When making the decision to upgrade and go woodworking full time I made the decision that I wasn't borrowing money to do anything. Which means I'm doing everything possible myself.

It's been quite a learning journey, and great fun - for example I know a lot more about woodworking equipment, plumbing, electrics and dust systems than I did before. (thanks again to you guys)

But there's been a few tough sides to it. :) First off unless you are very experienced there's a lot of research, reading and figuring out needed and it's highly time consuming - yet essential.

You get really fed up with friends asking if you've finished yet and making like they would have had it done in a week - they haven't a clue as to what's actually involved. After a few weeks you can see the 'this guy is dreaming' view setting in, and after that they stop asking.

As a self employed change management consultant I was mostly used to office work, and at 55 with a dodgy back and knees (too many years of motorcycle MX racing) can truly say that trying to work successive days hands on came as a bit of a shock to the system. (the body does adapt, but it takes time and you have to pace it and rest when needed)

I flat don't have the energy or the stamina to blast through the hands on work in haze of 14 hour days. Maybe 30 years ago.....

A key perspective seems to be to take it one day at a time, and to not get too fixated on a completion date - apart from cutting corners all over the place it would become very stressful and negative.

It's hard work trying to live with an absolute minimum of personal spending - and it wears a bit thin after a while. The arrival of an out of the blue assignment from my old line of work (while a significant delay) was for this reason very welcome.

Another angle is the amount of patience that has been required of my wife (who fortunately is working - it wouldn't have been possible without her) I know there's times she gets a little impatient, and she doesn't always 'get it'. The family are fortunately grown up.

It gets a bit lonely when there's really nobody around that at the detail/having an interest level is interested in sharing what's going on - my son isn't into working with his hands, (he's more musical) and woodworkers aiming at the high end space are thin on ground over here.

We're not even thinking about the fact that I'll be setting out to find work in the middle of our (irish) economic collapse/IMF/EU rescue and all that entails - although I have at times rationalised that there has to need for woodworking even if there is a meltdown!

What I can say is that while there's been a few downers I'm very happy I headed down this road, and that working hands on continues to deliver a satisfaction that's not available (to me anyway) in an office job.

For anybody who is thinking of doing something like this. It has to be your own decision, and it may not be the right thing for everybody.

But life is strange. The commitment was made after many years of hoping to do it in parallel with my previous work, but it just wasn't happening. Serious illness some years ago led to a deep sense that it was now or never, but there was no clear sight of how to get to the end.

There's still a bit to go, but having committed the needs that arose (e.g. funding) have so far almost magically been taken care of in very unlikely ways.

Maybe it does make sense to follow your heart. (but of course you have to find it first)....

ian

Stephen Cherry
11-25-2010, 7:44 AM
It sounds like you're really living!

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-25-2010, 8:02 AM
Hi Ian - sounds like you've been on quite a trek so far, but the journey hsa only just begun! at 55 (and with 'dodgy' back and knees, to boot)...wow, good for you. I wish you the best of luck.

Where (what County) "over there" are you, if I may ask?

Bob Riefer
11-25-2010, 8:02 AM
Nice, good for you. I couldn't agree more although I'm at the beginning of the journey still. The "yeah right you're dreaming" looks. Ha ha. Seen a lot of them too.

Damon Stathatos
11-25-2010, 8:23 AM
Ian:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Your story and mine are essentially identical minus the employed wife part. In fact, I checked the name on your post several times while reading it to make sure that I hadn't actually posted this during some sort of 'blackout'.

You've touched on so many of the points of this type of journey but to sum it up...finding yourself I think just about says it all.

When those concerned people quiz me, I can honestly tell them two things, I've never been happier and never been in better (physical) shape in my life.

Looking back on 'the old days' I now realize how the old saying about money not buying happiness (you're very correct about it being a tough economic world out there) is so true. There's a member on this form who's signature line reads something such as 'I may be broke but I've got wood,' which just about says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Congratulations on your decision, your 'awakening'. I think sadly that perhaps only a fortunate few ever really do finally sort out the important and unimportant in life (all creekers included/excepted, of course) and your newly found path is truly a cause for celebration.

Best to you and enjoy the ride.

Bill ThompsonNM
11-25-2010, 8:49 AM
Like you I jumped from the world of offices and desks (25 years of computers in my case). I jumped to veterinary medicine.. and my coworkers either wished they could do something similar -- or were totally convinced I'd finally gone around the bend! I'm sure the LOML viewed it mostly as a mid-life crisis, but then as I told her, it's better that than sports cars or other searches for lost youth and meaning.

Its given me time to enjoy woodworking as a hobby.. not enough perhaps, but I'm still working on that!
And as you'll find, the change gives new meaning to living and enjoying life. Hopefully your working wife is already noticing changes in you.. the smile in the morning, whistling on odd occasions...

So.. congratulations on pursuit of your dreams... it's never to late to find them and live the life you'd like to live.

Doug Carpenter
11-25-2010, 8:53 AM
Ian,

Good luck with it.

Like many here you story rings true with me too.

It does get lonely and since my wife deals with lots of people all day when she gets home not only does she not feel like talking, she doesn't understand what I am talking about anyway.

I have been a general contractor for 21 years and always had young employees. While many people say dealing with young people will keep you young they should try having a meaningful conversation with them. lol

I have since decided to close that business and do custom gunstocks. It is a business shrouded in secrecy. I have been lucky enough to find one guy that is willing to share some information.

The work is extremely high end and must be perfect. I have always been a perfectionist so when I have a problem my wife is sure I am just being hard on my self.

Long story short we are all right there with you buddy. thank goodness we have this forum as a sounding board.:)

ian maybury
11-25-2010, 12:14 PM
You're very good guys, and it's nice to find that I'm not alone and that my experience rings bells for some. Sorry I can't come back on everything.

I should say though Doug that having a wife that deals with people during the working day seems very familiar to me too. I'm not sure Damon that I'd have the guts to go it without her contribution - on my own yes, but not with family about. Fortunately mine are finished college and the like. (':p and with a mighty bound he was free...)

To say that there's definitely an element of finding one's personal/spiritual path about the whole deal is a nice way to sum it up - that's certainly the way it was for me. It got to the point where trying to get company managements to be a bit more constructive was starting to feel like being stuck in a morass.

It gets so that you've heard all the bullsh1t before, and so that you hunger to do something that has 'heart'. You also come to realise that people do the right thing when they are ready - that you don't have to and can't do it for them.

That's not to say that woodworking is any more a mystical art than lots of other activities - but it at least has the advantage that approached in the right frame of mind it can be a centre of calm, and the output is something tangible and hopefully beautiful and/or useful. It's then up to punter to decide to take it or leave it. Another angle is that hopefully it has the potential to be pursued well past retirement age.

The back while dodgy and full of stainless steel or something has been stable, the knees are a recent development I'm hoping will not crap out.

I'm in Co. Kildare John, that name of yours sounds like it might have green origins. Probably more so than mine, my lot moved over here from Europe several hundred years ago and are consequently still only immigrants. :D

ian