PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and need advise

Todd MacKinnon
11-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Well I have am new to the forum and have been lurking for a while. I have want to get a laser for the past few years to do some woodworking. I am planning to get a laser in the first few months of next year. I currently do cutouts of cars with a scroll saw (see attached images) but want to use a laser to do the same in the future. So what I am doing now is making the patterns in Corel before I get the laser.

My question about my patterns is are some of the lines to close together?
What should I look out for when making these patterns?

Also I was told by a few people that these cutouts do not violate copyright laws since it is deemed as artistic interpretation of the car as long as I don't use the logo for the cars.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

James Jaragosky
11-25-2010, 12:15 AM
The laser can cut much finer lines than you ever could on a mechanical saw. So if they are not too close for you now, I am sure it will work on the laser as well.
As far as copyright laws I will leave that to the experts.
Welcome
JIM J.

Todd MacKinnon
11-25-2010, 12:24 AM
James Thanks for your reply
The cdr files are new and I am wonder if the lines in the cdr files maybe to close to each other such as in the wheel detail area.

As for the copyright I believe it would be no different from Brenda Priddy & Company which take spy photos of new cars and sells the photos to magazines.

Mike Null
11-25-2010, 6:33 AM
Todd

Most versions of Corel have pretty good auto clipart files. My old version 8 has very good files on Corvettes. If you can find older version one ebay or craig's list you will have a real clipart find.

David Fairfield
11-25-2010, 9:20 AM
Those should work really well in a laser. Check into some of the car "wingding" collections available as copyright-free and cost-free downloads. You can easily convert them to vector files for laser cutting. You have a whole new range of artwork options now that you are working with digital files.

As for trademark infringement and copyright, its a touchy subject as you can see from past threads that turn into debates. I think your interpretation of the law is a good rule of thumb as a craftsperson. You aren't using the company trademark, or presenting your work as their products or generally diluting their trade name. Your work is fairly abstract. However, the car shape can be interpreted as a company trademark. If a company wants to make you stop, they can and will. But realistically, the worst that will happen is you get a cease and desist letter. If you get one of those, obviously, you need to take it seriously.

Dave

Richard Rumancik
11-25-2010, 10:49 AM
. . . The cdr files are new and I am wonder if the lines in the cdr files maybe to close to each other such as in the wheel detail area.

Todd, there is no problem using your files on 3mm baltic birch or similar material. If you use a 2" lens you can get a .005" spot size (which will be your kerf width). In fact, you could have more detail if you wanted. The other things you can do with the laser that you can't do with the saw is to add scribe lines or add raster/vector shading if you wished.

Todd MacKinnon
11-25-2010, 12:59 PM
The other things you can do with the laser that you can't do with the saw is to add scribe lines or add raster/vector shading if you wished.

Richard

Thanks for the response. Once I get the laser and some experience that would be my next step.

Todd MacKinnon
11-25-2010, 1:02 PM
Check into some of the car "wingding" collections available as copyright-free and cost-free downloads.

Dave

Do you happen to have the website link?

David Fairfield
11-25-2010, 2:18 PM
Quick search turned this one up, copyright indicator says "free"

http://www.dafont.com/old-car.font