PDA

View Full Version : ornaments 2, 3 and 4

Dan Cannon
11-24-2010, 8:08 PM
These are my 2nd, 3rd and 4th ornaments, (turnings #8, 9 and 10, so I know I have a lot to learn). They're headed with me to my folks for thanksgiving for gifts to my mom & dad, brother and sister. If it becomes a tradition, it should be fun to look back and see what I don't know now that I think I do!

The one on the left is mystery red wood and holly. I'd posted this one earlier, but the cats since broke the pendant so I had to re-turn and shorten it. The middle is maple and redwood (I think?). The right one is maple and mystery wood again. All are finished with spray lacquer.

Also, thanks to Scott Hackler for answering some questions I had while I was working on these, you were a huge help!

ps - I'm kind of cheating by calling them my 3rd and 4th ornaments, since there were a couple components of each put to the burn pile before I finally settled on these. So I guess these are my 2nd, 3rd and 4th "completed" ornaments.

C&C encouraged.

Thanks for looking, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Dan

John Keeton
11-24-2010, 8:17 PM
Very nice work on all of them, Dan! The one on the right would be my favorite - really good job on the finish on these.

And, a Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well!:)

James Combs
11-24-2010, 8:40 PM
Extra nice as far as I am concerned Dan. I am going have to get a can of lacquer. My rattle can poly doesn't look half as good.

michael gallagher
11-24-2010, 9:36 PM
Very nice, I especially like that finial on the right one

Rich Aldrich
11-24-2010, 9:51 PM
Nice job. Is it still called a finial if it is on the bottom when hanging?

Dan Cannon
11-25-2010, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully the family will like them!

Rich - good question, I called them finials before but I see others call them icicles or pendants, which I guess makes more sense. Either way, it was fun practicing my first "finial" turnings...

Thanks,
Dan

Michael Short
11-25-2010, 8:08 PM
Nice ornaments Dan.

Ken Hill
11-25-2010, 8:47 PM
All are nice, but I agree, the far right one with the thin "do-hickeys" is my favorite:D