PDA

View Full Version : Festool ATF 55e

Bernie Nauroth
12-30-2004, 7:07 PM
Hi,
Just put my order in for the 55e and dust extractor along with the mft 1080 table.But would like to know if you own the 55e plunge saw why you picked it over the 65e.O boy what a Christmas can't wait for the tools to come.:D

Ted Shrader
12-30-2004, 8:33 PM
Hi Bernie -

First, Welcome to the Creek. Glad to e-meet you.

Congratulations on your new purchases! Any idea when you will get to play with them?

Welcome,
Ted

Cecil Arnold
12-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Got the 55 but I'm price sensitive, which drove this purchase. Have already built a kitchen cabinet (quick and dirty--melimie over particle board) and found this to be a quality tool, however if you expect a table saw, don't. If there is one weakness in me or the Festool line it may be unreasonable expectations.

JayStPeter
12-31-2004, 10:48 AM
Bernie,

Welcome. I have the 55 and really like it. I chose it over the 65 because I think the extra capacity would rarely be useful. In the rare cases where it would, I have plenty of other tools to make it happen. After a year of ownership, I don't regret the decision.
My intended use was to cut down sheet goods. But, I use it for quite a bit of other stuff as well. I hope to get a MFT sometime soon.

Cecil,

While I agree that it isn't a tablesaw (and it won't make me give up my tablesaw), I think some thought and jigs make it a much better saw.
IMO, its weaknesses are small pieces and repeatability. For small pieces, I have seen some rigs to help on the Festool Owners Group, but I have a tablesaw and will stick to that. As for repeatability, I have made a jig that helps a lot. I have posted it here a number of times, so won't repeat now.

Jay

Bernie Nauroth
12-31-2004, 1:07 PM
Well Ted it looks like the second week of January. I have to say reading all the posts on festool really helps take some of the sting out of the price.