PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Tools

Tim Thiebaut
11-24-2010, 2:22 PM
I have ordered a set of Ben's Best tools, and just today noticed that it says that you must sharpen them when you receive them, I guess I assumed they would be ready to use out of the box. Anyway, I have never sharpened a lathe tool before and am unsure of the angles and so forth. I do have a very nice horizontal wet sharpening system I have used on my wood chisels and other tools for years now...

It is this style...

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/Sharpening/sharpening.htm

Will this work for sharpening my new lathe tools? Can I just free hand it and hold it at the angle of the grind on the tool? What do you all recommend? I have spent so much lately on the new lathe and tools I can not afford to buy a new sharpening system right now. Thanks for any input...T

John Keeton
11-24-2010, 2:31 PM
Tim, consistency in the bevel is important, as is getting a clean edge. Of course, safety is an issue as well. Keeping all of that in mind, you can probably replicate the angles of the original grind on the system you have, but it will be difficult because of visibility and the fine grit of the stone you have.

Eventually, you will want the Wolverine system by Oneway - this system will allow you to get the swept back grind on the bowl gouges, and on some of the detail gouges, as well.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SP65NYXEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
And, the Vari-Grind jig - I prefer the original vs. the Vari-Grind II
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XWX4NS66L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
You can usually find the whole setup on sale for around $125 or so.

Prashun Patel
11-24-2010, 2:51 PM
IMHO, at the minimum, you will require a bench grinder and at least one 60-80gt Aluminum Oxide grinding wheel. You can then build a platform and a jig to sharpen bowl gouges.

However, my advice is to listen to the wisdom out there and just get a Oneway Wolverine Vari-grind. It's just so predictable and easy, it really is worth every penny. From ThompsonLatheTools, you can download a sharpening chart for how to set the jig.

I just bought 2 new gouges, and it literally took me 1 minute to go from factory grind to sharp with the Varigrind.

If you - like me - want to be cheap, you can still make the platform and the v-arm pretty easily.

bob svoboda
11-24-2010, 2:58 PM
Another vote for the Wolverine system and the original vari-grind.

Josh Bowman
11-24-2010, 3:06 PM
Look in our classifieds. Fate saw you coming:D

Art Kelly
11-24-2010, 3:16 PM
Wet systems are arguably better for bench chisels, carving tools and woodturning skew chisels.

When you grind a tool with a dry wheel going fast enough to make sparks, the little burr that forms (and which some of us prefer to leave in place) is actually air-hardened. This is because it is heated to or above the critical temperature for the steel, but then as soon as it flows off the bevel the surrounding air quenches the red-hot burr. It's pretty hard and as long as the wood isn't full of mineral, it'll stay in place quite a while as you turn. That little burr really makes Oland-style cutters cut like crazy when hollowing. (I need all the crazy I can get.:rolleyes:)

It's a completely different animal from the burrs that you burnish up on cabinet scrapers as that steel never gets near the critical temperature for the steel.

$0.02
Art

Philip Rodriquez
11-24-2010, 3:22 PM
Tim, check the Denver craigslist, number 2047595145. This is an amazing setup for the price.

Greg Ketell
11-24-2010, 4:01 PM
Talk about timing... You just missed two full Wolverine setups , one including a bunch of gouges. Popped up here and on IAP and were gone in moments!

Allen stagg
11-24-2010, 4:35 PM
Wolverine is a decent system, especially for the price. I have one and used it until I purchased a JoolTool http://www.jooltool.com/ for which I have used exclusively since. I keep my Wolverine but hasn't been used in a long time. I can sharpen my lathe tools or any tool for that matter with the JoolTool and it gets razer sharp without grinding away expensive tools. It is easy to repeat the sharpening once you practice just a few times without any big setup. I like the Tormek, but since I can sharpen with this machine, I see no need in going to Tormek for a huge price even later down the road, other than I am a tool junkie. The JoolTool is pricier than Wolverine, so I say get the Wolverine first and can later move up to higher priced systems as you go.

The JoolTool looks a little like a weak system, but it is a work horse in reality. Everything I own is super razer sharp all of the time. I bought mine at a Houston Woodworking Show a few years ago and haven't looked back since. New sandpapers are pricey and hard to come by but I order them and last for a pretty long time.

Can't say about the Worksharp system but is similar and cost less, and have heard they work similar but just don't know myself.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-24-2010, 5:29 PM
Ted,
I just saw the classified section and was happy to see you grabbed the lathe accessories. Good purchase. A decent bench grinder is not expensive. Try to find one with 8" wheels. This is an expensive hobby you just chose and buying never seems to stop. It is also a lot of fun and really good therapy. Welcome.
faust

JerHall
11-24-2010, 6:12 PM
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/09/23/podcast-37-turning-tools-sharpen-your-skills-with-sharp-tools/

It is complete and solid information, even if some of us do this or that a little different, like using a 8" x1" low speed grinder.

There are a lot of other good free videos on-line. Email me for the link.

Jerry

Tim Thiebaut
11-24-2010, 6:40 PM
Thanks again for all of the great information here everyone, looks like I am saving up for a wolverine setup now! LOL....it will be a few weeks before I have the extra funds, xmas is almost here ya know, but thats what I wll shoot for, thanks again everyone, you all are great!

@ Philp - Thanks for the local craigs listing, but man at 500+ that is out of my league at the moment, maybe something like that in the future but I can swing it now, thanks anyway though!

@ JerHall - Thanks for the video link, I will go check that out now!

T

Edit - I did want to mention I do already have a very good bench grinder, someone above mentioned I would need to get on. Does sharpening your tools with the grinder like this wear them down a lot? How long will a set of tools last sharpening them with a grinder like this?

Michael James
11-24-2010, 6:57 PM
Edit - I did want to mention I do already have a very good bench grinder, someone above mentioned I would need to get on. Does sharpening your tools with the grinder like this wear them down a lot? How long will a set of tools last sharpening them with a grinder like this?

Tim, don't worry they will last quite a while unless you actually want to clock how long it takes to wear everyghing away!:eek:
There is no substitute for very sharp tools for safety and cleanliness of cut. It's very frustrating to try to learn to turn with not sharp tools..I think most of us know the hard way. That grinding wheel setup is probably the most significant factor in your lathe setup (right after a lathe that will turn true). Just bite the bullet, put on your santa outfit and treat yourself to the wolverine and (+1) for the varigrind for the holidays. I promise you won't regret it. Give everyone a pen (for a Holiday gift) you turned!:D
mj

John Keeton
11-24-2010, 7:50 PM
Honestly, I think the Wolverine pays for itself in saved metal! With the Vari-grind jig, my gouge isn't on the wheel more than 8-10 seconds, at most. And, I use just enough pressure to control the roll.

Rich Aldrich
11-24-2010, 8:01 PM
I had the Vari-grind 1, but I didnt like it. While rolling the gouge, the gouge slipped off the wheel and the jig caught the wheel. It stopped the grinder dead and pulled the lag bolts out of the bench top that hold the grinder to the bench. I was lucky the wheel did not disintegrate. This was probably due to lack of experience using a grinder, but interesting saftey issue.

When you get an gouge sharpening jig, get either the Vari-grind II or the Sharp Fast as shown below. These are supported so you can only roll the gouge on the stone - it wont slip off the side.

I ended up getting the sharp fast which also fits the wolverine base.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/shared/images/products//medium/128214255763327wgrinder.jpg (http://www.hartvilletool.com/shared/images/products//large/128214255763327wgrinder.jpg)

Gary Conklin
11-24-2010, 9:27 PM
Ebay id# 150522154479

Jake Helmboldt
11-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Tim, even if they were ready out of the box it isn't long before they are ready for a touch-up. As has been said, a light touch on the grinder is all that is needed; you are simply cleaning up the edge to freshen it up.

With a skew you need to hone it so going to the grinder is only needed to reshape the bevel. With gouges most people will use it straight off the grinder, but sometimes I'll hone (and you want to clean up any machining marks in the flute to get the best possible edge.

As for jigs; I've make my own. If money is tight you can make a vari-grind style jig out of scraps and it works just fine. The key is repeatability so you get the same grind each time. That saves metal and also makes the learning process easier since the tool is cutting the same way after each sharpening.

Jim Burr
11-24-2010, 11:52 PM
I went the cheap way...Nova and it's not bad. I did upgrade my Delta grinder from 6 to 8" wheels, maintaining the guards. I use a 80g on one side and a 120g on the other. The Nova isn't a Tormek, but I have sharp tools;)

Tim Thiebaut
11-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I tell ya I am glad I found this site, you all are a wealth of information, I bit the bullet so to speak and have a wolverine & varigrind on order with Rockler on line. Thanks to everyone for all of the help and info, T

ron hossack
11-26-2010, 9:41 AM
Am I the only one that uses a belt sander for sharpening?

Greg Ketell
11-26-2010, 11:02 AM
No, not the only one. Two of my friends use belt sanders. If I could figure out how to setup a wolverine to work with a belt sander I might switch. I'm just not good enough to freehand sharpen my gouges yet.

Justin Stephen
11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I saw an article on belt sander sharpening in one of the turning-related magazines several months back and was intrigued by the idea. I still am, frankly. I have not tried it though.

Michael James
11-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I tell ya I am glad I found this site, you all are a wealth of information, I bit the bullet so to speak and have a wolverine & varigrind on order with Rockler on line. Thanks to everyone for all of the help and info, T

Tim, consider all this college tuition and lab/material fees. Anyone that chooses to implement and experiment with the tips, tricks, and knowledge so freely shared here will become very good, much quicker than whacking away in the cave by yourself. One more time, get hooked up with a local chapter and get some face time / shop time with your local experts.
The initial bites sting a little, but once you get the basics, it all depends on what you want to do with this. Each of us seems to be drawn to some individual aspect(s) of the possibilities.:)
mj