PDA

View Full Version : Said goodbye to a dear friend today

Bruce Page
12-30-2004, 6:15 PM
I had to put down Buddy today, He was the sweetest most loving dog we have ever had but old age and arthritis finally took their toll.

I will miss him.

Karl Laustrup
12-30-2004, 6:26 PM
Sorry for your loss Bruce. I know how that is. Had to do the same thing a few years ago with a pet that we had for 21 years.

Karl

Scott Parks
12-30-2004, 6:30 PM
Sorry you lost a good friend, Bruce. I'm sure he was by your side for many years. My yellow lab passed on last year a week before her 15th birthday....

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 6:32 PM
Ouch. Sorry to hear about Buddy, Bruce...they become so much a part of the family. But hold onto the memories...they are sweet and will always bring a smile.

Ken Garlock
12-30-2004, 6:38 PM
Sorry to read of your loss, Bruce. It is difficult to say good bye to a little animal that gives so much unconditional love. Each day your grief will lessen just a little, and with time you will be able to look back and chuckle about the good times you two had together.

Now go get yourself a puppy :)

Mike Tempel
12-30-2004, 7:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Bruce. You must have been incredibly strong to have done what needed to be. I often wonder if I will be as strong as you when the time comes for me - my cat is pushing 20 and is showing her age. That dog sure looks like a beautiful one. Thanks for sharing. Keep your chin up and remember the good times.

Mark Singer
12-30-2004, 7:04 PM
Bruce,

Really sorry...my lab is 13 1/2 and we love him! I know how you feel...Get another soon....

Michael Stafford
12-30-2004, 7:14 PM
Sorry for your loss, Bruce. I had to do the same thing to my beloved shop dog 2 years ago tomorrow. New Year's eve will never be a happy memory for me. I am sorry you lost your shop dog and friend.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-30-2004, 7:42 PM
Really sorry to hear that Bruce. We had to have our beloved terrier mix, Cashew, put down about 2 months ago. It hurts, but gets better with time.

Jerry Olexa
12-30-2004, 7:51 PM
Bruce, Sorry about your loss. I think I understand. A few months ago, I lost my yellow Lab (Beau) at age of 5 1/2 due to a kidney condition. (The vet felt it was anti freeze dripping from a delivery truck). Like you, I reported it here. I still think of him often and miss him dearly.Time heals all wounds but it will be difficult for a while. Try to remember your good times together. Sorry...

Dave Anderson NH
12-30-2004, 7:53 PM
I went thru this on August 9th when Sue and I had to put our Srong Spaniel Otis to sleep. It was a very difficult experience and while we have moved on, we still feel the loss. In fact, for the first 3 months Sue would occasionally break out into spontaneous tears when something reminded her of him. Come Spring we will be getting another Springer pup to raise. NH just isn't the place to try and housebreak and raise a pup during the winter.

The hurt will subside, but you will never forget your years together and you will smile when you remember the good memories.

Ted Shrader
12-30-2004, 7:59 PM
Bruce -

My condolences on your loss. Sometimes it is a hard thing to do, but Buddy is not suffering now. Remember the good times you had and he will always bring a smile to your face.

Regards,
Ted

Joe Mioux
12-30-2004, 8:00 PM
Bruce:

Sorry to hear about Buddy. I know how you feel, I have done it twice.

Joe

Rob Littleton
12-30-2004, 8:04 PM
Bruce and family,

I feel your pain.

Hang in there and remember the good times.

Im sorry about Buddy...........

Wes Bischel
12-30-2004, 8:19 PM
Bruce,

Really sorry to hear about Buddy. At least you were home from Alaska to say goodbye.

Wes

Lou Morrissette
12-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Sorry to hear about Buddy, Bruce. Just hearing about it brings back some of the pain I felt when I had to do it. Hope the memory of the joy you felt when he was with you makes things easier for you.

Lou

John Miliunas
12-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Bruce, my heart goes out to you and your family on the loss of Buddy. Been there, done that, most recently this past Summer. It will get better with time and take solace in the times you guys had fun together.

Cecil Arnold
12-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Our dog is 14 1/2, deaf and half blind, we constantly worry about having to put her down, so I can imagine how you must feel to lose a loving family member.

Rob Russell
12-31-2004, 7:29 AM
Pets are special and we become extremely attached to them. We're cat people wih no kids. We had our first cat for 17 1/2 years and putting her to sleep hurt may more than I expected.

My condolences on your pain, but I feel that relieving a cherished pet of his/her suffering is one of the kindest things we can do.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Phil Phelps
12-31-2004, 9:19 AM
...where the "I lost an old friend today", and then posts a picture of a Skillsaw. Really sorry about your companion. The cruel part of a dogs love is that they don't live long enough.

Warren White
12-31-2004, 2:38 PM
Bruce, you can take solace in knowing that you did the loving thing for Buddy. I am sorry for what pain it brings you, and hope that the joy of memories will make each day a bit easier. I still miss Copper, my boyhood friend of many years.

Warrenn

Glenn Clabo
12-31-2004, 4:43 PM
Sorry Paul...
As one of our labs travels into old age and we notice how much our younger one has become more and more attentive to her older friend...we wonder how we will all react. It is only something that people who are owned by dogs understand.

Cheers to the years you've enjoyed with Buddy.

David Wilson
12-31-2004, 5:55 PM
Bruce
You have my depest sympathy. Loosing a pet is like loosing a member of the family.

Christopher Pine
01-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Genuinly our pets have a special part in our lives and are good friends! Is very difficult to loose them! My Sympathies!

Chris Pine

Rich Konopka
01-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Bruce:

The pain of losing a pet is severe. They become part of the family and there is no denying the companionship they bring.

We almost lost our dog "Lizzy" a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier a year or so ago. I was on a trip to Vegas and the family had to deal with the sudden illness. Lizzy's kidney had shut down and she almost left us. Our vet who diagnosed the problem as Addison Disease and saved her. She takes daily medicine and is fine now. However, I can never ever forget the pain of the near loss of her.

Please accept my sincere condolences and may the spirt of Buddy live on.

larry merlau
01-03-2005, 1:26 PM
i too have been there bruce, and fully understand your loss and went threw the withdrawls, told myself that i wouldnt have another one, but the other half decided differntly was away on a hunitn trip and came home to a rescued dog that hated men :D and i didnt like him much either but things have changed and he goes with me alot now and sleeps on my side of the bed. he even agrees with me always, never back talks eithe.r so i agree with the others who suggested another, wont replce buddy;s memories but will make new ones for you and yours. keep your chin up, they are nevr forgotten

Bruce Page
01-03-2005, 6:08 PM
Thank you all for your very kind words. I’m a big guy and consider myself a “manly man”, but I feel almost silly over how strongly this affected me. I have never been that attached to a pet before. Anyway, thanks.

Jerry Olexa
01-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Bruce , Pls don't feel silly about this. There is a very strong bond between a dog and his master. Non-Dog lovers don't understand this. Its a treasured thing when a dog welcomes you home, forgives you for everything (always) and respects you like you're a combination Napolean, R.E, Lee and A. Lincoln (and R.Marks/N.Abrams). They are a loving constant in this changing and often selfish world. Be glad you had the experience. I encourage you to eventually get a new dog. I used to feel I'm being disrespectful when I even thought of that. But I came to realize life goes on and he/she would want you to do that. You are a dedicated dog "person" and later, you should try to repair that gap in your life. I've sadly done it 4 times in my life and each dog was unique, cherished and missed! Again. Bruce, sorry for your loss but you're not alone..Time will heal your deep wounds...

Dave Right
01-04-2005, 4:51 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of Buddy. It's tough losing a family member!!

Jim Dunn
01-04-2005, 4:59 PM
Their just like out kids aren't they. Not just a dog but a friend and pal. My sympathies for you loss.

Jim and Codie (pictured)

Marshall Harrison
01-04-2005, 6:39 PM
Sorry about you loss Bruce. I feel the pain as I've lost dogd before also. We just have to cherish the memories and move on after a time.

As for me, I'm going to play with my dog now. She's only 3 years old but she goes crazy when I come home. She doesn't treat the rest of the family like that and I need to show her more attention while I still can.