PDA

View Full Version : "Placeholders" in Corel?

Mike vonBuelow
11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
How do I tell Corel/Laser where the upper left corner of my document's edge is? I usually just end up putting a smal 0.01" square in the upper left corner that usually is not noticable. Well, at least not yet.

But is there somthing I can do that Corel and my Laser can "see" (like a placeholder) to indicate where the document's edges are ??

For instance, if I was engraving a plate... the the artwork is 4" right and 4" down of the 0/0 mark. But if I don't put that square close to the 0/0 mark, it was start to laser right close to 0/0 -

Also, while I'm talking Corel, anyone recommend a good book to learn Corel - specifically X3? Something similar to Sam's Teach Yourself in 24 hrs?

Anyone have one for sale?

Tony Lenkic
11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Mike - In Corel is your page setup same size as your laser bed? If both setups are same then laser should engrave in exact spot you place your image anywhere on Corel page providing rulers placement are calibrated with page setup.

Larry Bratton
11-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Mike,
Unfortunately your not going to learn Corel Draw in 24 hours. Suggest you go to www.unleash dot com. This is Foster Coburn's website and he wrote the book on Corel Draw and Paint. I personally attended one of his Corel Boot Camps once and it was fantastic. He has a dvd for sale for $69.95 on X3. Check it out.

Mike vonBuelow
11-24-2010, 1:23 PM
I have set my page the same size as my bed (25 x 18), but I think last time I did this, it still started lasering close to 0.0 (and not where I placed it) - I'll double check tonight.

Thx Larry, I'll check it out!

Martin Boekers
11-24-2010, 1:32 PM
There are lots of free tutorials out there also, check You Tube.

Corel itself usually has a few hours of basic tutorials with each version.

Can you reset or check your home position? Is it very far off when it is off?
Is it consistant or does it vary?
Is there a calibration that should be done periodically with your machine?

These are a handful of things I would check into.

I, like many here use scrap or masking tape and then vector an outline
in position to place the piece into. Mostly on odd shaped pieces, but that works
if you have temporary issues.

Larry Bratton
11-24-2010, 1:57 PM
Be sure you set the same page size in the driver as you have in Corel.

Robert Farrell
11-24-2010, 4:58 PM
Mike, when you setup your your page in corel; Layout - Page setup - Set from printer - ok. you will have the size of your laser bed on the workspace. Next carry your cursor to the top left corner of the page where the two rulers meet, left click and drag the cursor ( two guidelines will appear) to the top left corner of your workspace, both rulers will zero at that point.
After setting up your work click print. Put in you speed power etc. click print preview. In the top left just above the ruler you will see (as in document ) click on that in the drop down box there are options choose, top left corner, your work will go to that position and will print from there. If for example it is some text that is to be rastered on a 5 x 7 plaque, place the text in a 5 x 7 box go to your outline tool click no outline the box will disappear, click print - print preview etc. as above and then print the job. I hope this help.

Mike vonBuelow
11-24-2010, 5:47 PM
Thanks all - will be working it tomorrow... too tired today.