PDA

View Full Version : Toilet flange question...

Chuck Wintle
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Is it better to put the toilet flange directly onto the plywood floor and then bring the tile floor to the flange or install the toilet to the flange and bring the tile floor to edge of the toilet?

ray hampton
11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
the easier way would be to install the tile before the toilet bowl

Jeremy Brant
11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
The toilet flange should be level with the floor that the toilet is sitting on. Install the flange (with extender if necessary) to the plywood, bring the tile to the flange, then set the toilet. When I installed mine, I tiled to the drain line and set the flange on top of the tile. This made everything level with no need for extenders or double thick wax rings.

Chuck Wintle
11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
When I installed mine, I tiled to the drain line and set the flange on top of the tile. This made everything level with no need for extenders or double thick wax rings.

This is what I will do in my case. But the tile floor is not installed yet so am wondering if it is wise to make the hole in the plywood subfloor and then set the flange at the approximate height of the floor with the tiles on. the plumber is arriving tomorrow to connect the new tub and adjust the drain for the vanity. The floor wont be finished until the weekend at the best.

Brian Kent
11-24-2010, 2:21 PM
If the flange had been installed higher or had an extender installed when the floor was tiled, this would have been much easier.

Dan Friedrichs
11-24-2010, 5:37 PM
Can't you just wait to glue the flange to the drain pipe until after the floor is installed? :confused: Then you can set it at exactly the right height?

Chuck Wintle
11-24-2010, 5:46 PM
Can't you just wait to glue the flange to the drain pipe until after the floor is installed? :confused: Then you can set it at exactly the right height?

yes. That is what we will probably do. Not having done much plumbing in my life i am hanging on the advice i get on this forum. :D