PDA

View Full Version : I sold my Hitachi jobsite saw. Now what?

Rich Engelhardt
11-24-2010, 7:31 AM
Long story short, the Hitachi, while a decent saw, just didn't do it anymore.

It looks like Home Depot & maybe Amazon, is going to run the DeWalt for $299.00 on Friday.
( I just saw the HD BF ad & Amazon says they will price match on BF)

I'm kind of torn here. I have a nice Ridgid TS3660 and a Festool TS55EQ for shop use, but, now I'm left w/out a job site saw.

In all honesty, the jobsite saw was more convienice than anything else.
I probably could have simply run home and used the Ridgid on the last rehab we did if I had to.

Still, for $299.00 that's a tempting price.

Maybe I should just start looking for a used jobsite saw?
Maybe forget it altogether and stick with running home if/when I need something cut onsite?

Lex Boegen
11-24-2010, 7:51 AM
If you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying a new tool, then you came to the wrong place! :D

I've been scouring the Internet hoping for a Black Friday deal on a Makita 2010NB thickness planer, but I have about as much hope of finding that deal as I do finding an honest politician.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-24-2010, 8:10 AM
Rich....so the old one just didn't make the cut, eh? *grin*

Seriously, though, where did the Hitachi come up short? Was it a 10" or 12"?

For me - I have the Dewalt 12" slider and I like it. I'm sure it's not perfect, and if I had my choice all over again I'd probably get a 10" slider (less mass, smaller blades interchangeable with my TS, etc). I always thought the Hitachis were nice, and there is always the Ridgid...

Also - I would think that running back to your house to use your TS to make some cuts would get annoying pretty quickly.

Rich Engelhardt
11-24-2010, 5:49 PM
Oops - I guess I wasn't real clear.

I sold my Hitachi jobsite tablesaw.

While it got the job done for the most part, it came up short with a non standard miter slot.
I've bought a number of addons and accessories for my Ridgid TS3660 which wouldn't work in the less than 3/4" T slots of the Hitachi.

HD is running the DeWalt jobsite table saw for $299.00 on Black Friday.
Amazon has stated they will price match.

I looked at the DeWalt back when I got the Hitachi - but - it was a lot more expensive. As was/is the Bosch.

Right now, I'm without a jobsite table saw of any kind w/the possible exception of my track saw.
After mulling it over all day, I believe I'll just sit tight and watch the used offerings and see what turns up.

Gary Lange
11-24-2010, 6:05 PM
Go to Home Depot on Black Friday and get the DeWalt Table Saw. It will make your job site cuts much easier and save you the time and trouble of going home to do what should be done on site.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-24-2010, 6:12 PM
Go to Home Depot on Black Friday and get the DeWalt Table Saw. It will make your job site cuts much easier and save you the time and trouble of going home to do what should be done on site.

I agree with this. Plus, there's the familiarity with the saw, plus - any jigs or accessories for one will always fit the other.

frank shic
11-25-2010, 1:22 AM
are you referring to the DW745? i bought it a few years ago to run a dedicated dado stack but if i highly recommend it for anyone from homeowner/DIY'er to a pro contractor because of it's portability and the rack-and-pinion fence. you can actually carry it with one hand and the ingenious fence design virtually guarantees straight cuts. i think they recently updated the blade guard as well. out of all the portable table saws i've owned including the bosch 4000 and the ridgid this one is my absolute favorite.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2010, 4:13 AM
are you referring to the DW745? i bought it a few years ago to run a dedicated dado stack

Yep - that's the one! The DW745. I see Amazon has lowered their price to $299.00 to match Home Depot's Black Friday price.

I was going to ask if it took a stacked dado, but you already answered that for me.

Man, I'm really in a quandry now...
Excellent price, great reviews, has the features my Hitachi lacked - but -

I'm 50/50 on actually "needing" it.:confused:

frank shic
11-25-2010, 8:57 AM
well... let me tell you that i think i got mine at an even lower price refurbished on ebay ;)

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Frank - thanks!
That makes my decision easier.

frank shic
11-25-2010, 11:17 AM
rich, anything i can do to help a fellow woodworker lol. happy thanksgiving btw!

Jonathan Spool
11-25-2010, 12:29 PM
In my opinion the Bosch 4100 is an excellent saw, not to mention the well designed folding stand. Mine was dead on out of the box 5 years ago, and cuts like a mobile cabinet saw in use. Very pleased with the design elements as well that provide storage slots for the miter guide and fence.

Rich Engelhardt
11-25-2010, 12:44 PM
The Bosch is a great saw - but - it's also over my price range.

That doesn't rule out the possibility of finding a used one though.

frank shic
11-25-2010, 7:52 PM
i didn't like the fence on the bosch... a little too much play compared to the ridgid and especially the dewalt.

Matt Meiser
11-26-2010, 7:18 PM
Lowes is selling it at the same price until the 28th. Mine accepted a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon too!

Matt Meiser
11-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I haven't cut anything with it yet but did unpack it tonight and gave it a good look. All the controls are smooth and easy to use. Things lock solidly. There's secure onboard storage for everything from what I can see, except the miter gauge. Looks like the dust collection should be decent with a shop vac. The guard looks nice. Biggest drawback so far is the fact there was no manual in the box so I'll need to download one. Oh, and the miter gauge looks pretty cheap.

Frank, do you have the stand they sell for it?

frank shic
11-27-2010, 12:14 AM
matt, no i just noticed that they had a stand available for it recently. sure beats bending down on the ground or trying to find some other available work surface lol. i'm trying to keep this thing as portable as possible although i don't think i'll be ripping anything inside the house any time soon! i wonder how the stand fares against the bosch and the ridgid. the bosch has got to be the easiest one i've used so far. the ridgid requires a little bit more effort but you gotta love the wheels, baby ;)

update: just found a vid clip and it looks just as clunky as the ridgid stand although you gotta respect the salesguy for actually dragging it around in the wild :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JGWKAwqQE8

Matt Meiser
11-27-2010, 10:45 AM
That's a different saw. The base they sell for the DW745 is the DW7450 which is pretty basic. You set it up then set the saw on it from what I can see.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/machinery-portable-table-saws-dw7450.aspx

frank shic
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
yuck! i'd rather cobble something together out of 2x4's and a set of high quality casters :)

Matt Meiser
11-27-2010, 1:10 PM
I'm thinking my Workmate would hold it nicely.