PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Finials

Richard Madden
11-24-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm still working on these things because I like the looks when done right. Don't know if these are right or not, but the shape is getting better I think. Here are three that survived...we won't talk about the ones that didn't.

The first one is sycamore grafted to walnut that's threaded. The sycamore was dyed, then sanded some more. The entire thing will eventually be black when the collar is cut to size. The other two are walnut. Comments and/or criticism welcomed.

Greg Ketell
11-24-2010, 1:10 AM
Those are very interesting! Looks like a LOT of work.

John Keeton
11-24-2010, 6:30 AM
Excellent work, Richard!! I can't imagine how much time and effort goes into these.

If you don't mind, let me offer my thoughts. Please understand that I have never attempted one of these, so my suggestions may not be feasible.

The first two seem to have the outside profile of a "better onion." The third one seems a little thicker toward the top, and does not have the reverse curve (or as much of it) that one often sees on a finial. You have done a phenomenal job of execution on these, and I am sure the thinner it gets, the harder it is to pull off.

I like the tip on the third one better. I am not sure on the idea of lift, as in the second and third ones - my first impression is that it is positive. But, I think it needs to be on a cove or some configuration that "tapers" - is somewhat heavier at the bottom. A cove that has a larger base than top would be a possibility. I wonder what it would look like if the second one was sitting on a cove, minus the bead just under the spiral onion.

Very nice work, Richard - you are really getting this thing down pat!

Norm Zax
11-24-2010, 6:47 AM
Beautifully executed! My 2 c: I would be weary of using such finials on a threaded lid. Theyre more fragile than other lids. Probably better on medium to loose fitting lids.

Allen stagg
11-24-2010, 7:16 AM
I must say, I think they look great and could only dream of doing something like that. I like the first one the best with less straight turned wood. Then the second because it has some turning design with less straight turning wood, but really, really like them all.

Baxter Smith
11-24-2010, 7:34 AM
You are definitely getting better at these... and your first ones were impressive! I had to go back and look at these again after reading Johns comments and I could see his points. Took me a while to get past just looking at the swirls and being amazed!

bob svoboda
11-24-2010, 8:16 AM
Really nice. I would be interested in a description of the process of creating these.

Pete Jordan
11-24-2010, 8:17 AM
I really like them all, Richard!

The detail is great!

James Combs
11-24-2010, 8:23 AM
Really nice. I would be interested in a description of the process of creating these.

Great looking turnings/sculptures. Ditto a review of the process.

charlie knighton
11-24-2010, 9:03 AM
well done.....

Richard Madden
11-24-2010, 9:58 AM
Excellent work, Richard!! I can't imagine how much time and effort goes into these.

If you don't mind, let me offer my thoughts. Please understand that I have never attempted one of these, so my suggestions may not be feasible.

The first two seem to have the outside profile of a "better onion." The third one seems a little thicker toward the top, and does not have the reverse curve (or as much of it) that one often sees on a finial. You have done a phenomenal job of execution on these, and I am sure the thinner it gets, the harder it is to pull off.

I like the tip on the third one better. I am not sure on the idea of lift, as in the second and third ones - my first impression is that it is positive. But, I think it needs to be on a cove or some configuration that "tapers" - is somewhat heavier at the bottom. A cove that has a larger base than top would be a possibility. I wonder what it would look like if the second one was sitting on a cove, minus the bead just under the spiral onion.

Very nice work, Richard - you are really getting this thing down pat!

Maybe I better explain what you're looking at here...none of these are finished per say. The first, where the spiral is sycamore and dyed black has a tenon fitted into a mortise in the walnut lid portion (the bead is the top of the walnut lid) which will be shaped to finish when I see what HF it will be used on. The lower walnut piece with the female threads will have a thin slice around 3/16 or so, cut for use as a collar to be inset in the hollowform. The second and third finials are not to that point yet. Both will also have a tenon cut just below the bead about 1/4 in diameter and 1/4 to 3/8 long. The finial will then be parted off and installed in a lid. The lid may, or may not be threaded...I'll decide later. So, what you are looking at is how these two pieces came off the lathe prior to the tenon being cut and parted off. There would be considerable "lift" if left like they are now. The purpose of the bead, or beads below the spiral is to give something to hold onto when screwing the lid on or off. Grabbing the spiral itself might not be a good idea. I'll show the finished product when done, but for now these are just work in progress.

Jim Burr
11-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I think those are great Richard. Almost a Gothic look to them.

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Those are really nicely done. I agree that threading might not be a good idea. I just don't see the customer grabbing the beads below the spiral.

Jon Lanier
11-24-2010, 2:55 PM
I'd still like to know how they are done. Anyone got a tutorial on it? Is this done just like the old spiral's we use to do with the drilling out?

Roger Chandler
11-24-2010, 3:42 PM
Those have got to be very time consuming to do.........and a LOT of work.

They are a work of art for sure. The size and shape of the hollow forms that you decide to use these on will set them off for sure, and most likely will add to the overall beauty of both the form and the finial.

Good stuff, Richard! Keep 'em coming, cause they inspire us to reach higher.

Thom Sturgill
11-24-2010, 4:58 PM
Richard, I'll have to say that I once bought a grinder to try doing a spiral vase and gave it up as a bad job. Didn't trust the tool, so you have my respect. Attached is a composite picture of some of the better aspects combined. I like the taller point and the top of the spiral on the middle one.

Richard Madden
11-24-2010, 5:26 PM

I did take some pictures of the last one as it was being made. I will try and get on here.

charlie knighton
11-24-2010, 6:50 PM
Bob

you could try amazon or half.com for used books , i found one that was very useful by Bill Bowers.....the basics of turning spirals
i personal like the straight up and down double barley twist
there is a lot more instructions than i will ever try
another name to look for a book from is Stuart Mortimer

enjoy :D