PDA

View Full Version : Wipe-On Poly Question

John Altberg
11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Mixed my own WOP earlier this year and don't have the label from the poly. anymore. My question is will light wood darken photochemically under poly. like it does under oil, or remain relatively stable?

Thanks,

John

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 10:38 PM
John - I would think that unless you had purchased a poly that had some UV protective additives - you should see the same darkening of the wood like it would under any regular finish.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2010, 11:17 PM
If it is not a outdoor wop or spar varnish I think you will see the wood darken over time. It will also darken the wood somewhat when applied. The only finish that I have found that doesn't turn it slightly darker when applied it lacquer.

John Keeton
11-24-2010, 6:19 AM
John, I have used it on walnut, curly maple, oak, and cherry over the years. Probably others, if I thought enough. All have aged as expected. The walnut lightened with its characteristic amber, the cherry turned the deep red, and the curly maple darkened, etc. All reacted just like one would expect.

John Altberg
11-24-2010, 8:58 AM
Thanks for the quick answers, gentlemen. I am glad to know that one can still expect a patina with the polyurethane, as I don't have time to use oil on the peppermills that "go to market" on 12/4! (It is not like I knew in February that I had this deadline!) This is just a hobby, but right now it is feeling like a job!