PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried high output CFLs for shop lighting?

Keith Avery
11-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I am in the process(very slowly) of turning most of my 30 by 48 barn into a shop. My barn has about 11 ft ceiling to the bottom of the trusses. I was planning on buying 4 bulb t8 fixtures(Lithonia and they have gone up considerably since I bought 3), the cost just for the fixtures(20ish) will be north of 1k and they are difficult for me to install by myself(I have a few up). I was wondering on opinions or experiences with the newer high output CFLs. I can buy them for about 20 bucks each and they have approximately 4500 lumens output each. A simple screw in fixture costs a couple of bucks or so and bulb changes(if ever necessary) would be far easier. I would need more for the same output, but the installation would probably be far easier. Opinions please.

Jim O'Dell
11-23-2010, 10:51 PM
Keith, I don't know about the CFLs, but bet they would work fine. What caught my attention was you saying the Lithonia fixtures for the T8s had gone up. I just bought an 8' 4 light Lithonia from HD a couple weeks ago, and it was about $4.00 less than the first 4 I bought 4 years ago. I think the 4' 2 bulb units are about the same as they were, at $27 something each. Do you have a 10' ladder? Set the end of the fixture on it, and start with the far end of it to secure it while on another ladder. That's basically how I did the 8' unit by myself 2 weeks ago. You could also build a deadman out of 2X4s with outrigger legs on the bottom for stability if you don't have the big ladder. Jim.

keith jensen
11-24-2010, 1:10 PM
I have one of those medium base 300 watt equivalent CFL's in my garage that they sell at HD or L-owes. Supposed to draw 65 watts. It is certainly bright but does not distribute the light like the 4' tubes.

They do take a few minutes to get up to full brightness in cold climates too.

Chris Friesen
11-24-2010, 2:06 PM
The other thing to consider is that it's harder to find CFL bulbs with decent colour accuracy.

John Grabowski
11-24-2010, 4:56 PM
As previously said, they are problematic in terms of color temp...I have only seen them in one color. I have to say that they are self ballasted so one of these is equivalent to 300 watt output of incandescent...they are far cheaper than any other fixture...3$ total for the box and the fixture...15 for the bulb and save about 65 over the t8 fixtures I have up with bulbs.

I love em...I have many in my garage and it really lights up well. I did a pretty hillbilly thing to them though. I bought some cheap big bowls from the dollar store and painted the white with a gloss spray paint and glued it to the fixture to work as a reflector...I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Best of luck, if you have any questions, feel free to email or pm me.

John G

Gary Curtis
11-25-2010, 10:35 PM
A sort of millionaire playboy's garage outfitter sells some pretty exotic hardware for any shop. Tools, cabinets, equipment moving, etc. And lighting.

It is called Griot's Garage. They have a website. I bought some High Intensity Discharge lamps to light my newly constructed shop building. Definitely cheaper than Grainger's or a wholesale electrical supply, but not Home Depot prices. And not made in China.

They have a service whereby if you supply them with your shop/barn floor plan, showing windows and ceiling height they will do a lighting design for you at no charge. You might know that for work at a bench you need a certain level of Lumens. For machines and general shop areas, you need considerably less.

So whether you buy their lighting or not, they will supply you with a professionally engineered lighting plan. It will give you lamp placement, fixture height, etc. I think you will want some kind of shade or reflector fixture for your fluorescents and they might even sell them at a descent price. But I'll be honest. Most of their customers own Ferrari's.

Gary Curtis