PDA

View Full Version : Help - Need a thicker Toilet Wax Ring

Brian Kent
11-23-2010, 9:51 PM
I hope this thread only stays open for about 1/2 hour before I head to the Borg.

My "Extra Thick Wax Ring" is not big enough to seal between the toilet and the Flange. It is 1-1/4" thick and the measurement of flange to tile floor is 3/4" and the bottom of toilet is 1/2" inset from the bottom rim, so it seems all I need to cover is "Margin of Error".

Is there an even thicker wax ring or should I cut a second one in half like a bagel and push it on the top?

(I would ask if I need a new tool for something, but no spare cash :rolleyes:)

Thanks for your help.

Brian

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-23-2010, 9:54 PM
Interesting. This is a situation where I would ask the person in the plumbing aisle what to do. I suppose you could buy 2 normal rings and put them on top of each other - and let the weight/pressure of the 'throne' deform it into shape.....

Brian Kent
11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Good I'll look for the old guy who knows everything from experience.

Phil Thien
11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Another option, Fernco wax-free toilet seal:

http://www.amazon.com/Fernco-FTS-3-Free-Toilet-Seal/dp/B000BQUJEA

Wayne Hendrix
11-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Stack two, I was taught that by a plumber and it has always worked for me.

Dan Friedrichs
11-23-2010, 10:24 PM
If the flange is flush with the floor, you shouldn't have this problem, right? :confused:

They do make flange extenders to bring the flange height up to finished floor level (if you just finished installing a thicker flooring material or something). It's just a little plastic disc that you stack on top of the existing flange - all borgs carry them.

Brian Kent
11-24-2010, 2:59 AM
Thanks all. I put a regular ring over the thick ring and it no longer leaks - which is a bonus for Thanksgiving company.

Brian Kent
11-24-2010, 3:01 AM
If the flange is flush with the floor, you shouldn't have this problem, right? :confused:

They do make flange extenders to bring the flange height up to finished floor level (if you just finished installing a thicker flooring material or something). It's just a little plastic disc that you stack on top of the existing flange - all borgs carry them.

You're right Dan. That would be a good idea next time around.

Zach England
11-24-2010, 9:09 AM
I've done this. It has worked for several years.

Lee Schierer
11-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but my understanding is that the wax isn't to seal the joint to prevent water leaks it is to seal the joint to prevent gas/air from escaping. If the extension on the bottom of the toilet doesn't go far enough into the pipe you will get leaks. The bacteria will eventually consume enough of the wax to cause a leak. The proper fix is to install a new flange at the right height or use flange extenders to decrease the gap and prevent water contact with the wax. Proper installation now can save hours of future work repairing rotted flooring.

Mike Cutler
11-24-2010, 1:48 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but my understanding is that the wax isn't to seal the joint to prevent water leaks it is to seal the joint to prevent gas/air from escaping. If the extension on the bottom of the toilet doesn't go far enough into the pipe you will get leaks. The bacteria will eventually consume enough of the wax to cause a leak. The proper fix is to install a new flange at the right height or use flange extenders to decrease the gap and prevent water contact with the wax. Proper installation now can save hours of future work repairing rotted flooring.

Bingo!

I had a leaking toilet flange turn into a complete re-gut of a bathroom . The floor and subfloor was too far gone.

Brian
Two stacked wax rings will give you a nice "short term", maybe even years fix. Eventually though you should address the flange installation.
The Fernco suggestion is a very good one. Don't get the cheap "crappy" one at the Borg. Get a real Fernco if replacing the flange is cost prohibitive.

Jerome Hanby
11-24-2010, 4:04 PM
My Dad was an Inspector for Facilities Engineering at Redstone Arsenal. His plumbers stacked them all the time...

Brian Elfert
11-24-2010, 7:58 PM
I had a bathroom roughed in when my house was built. The plumber placed the toilet flange at floor level. My tile guy was old school and laid the tile floor a good inch and a half thick. I had the challenge of getting the toilet sealed to the flange.

I bought a real Fernco toilet seal from Menards, but it turned out not to be long enough to seal. I then tried a thick wax ring, but it leaked. I finally hired a plumber and he used two wax rings on top of each other.