PDA

View Full Version : Two in a row.... YAHOOOOOOO

Tom Mullane
12-30-2004, 2:20 PM
Here is the little cherry bowl I was working on... 7x2.75"... this is only the second bowl I have turned that stayed together...
The rim treatment is crushed malachite stone... a lot harder to work than the crushed coral was... it actually grooved the shaper I was using... tough stuff.. instead of being recessed into the rim it is slightly raised... actually looks pretty good....
The stone in the body is there to fix a really bad pitch pocket that I ended up removing with my Dremel tool....
The finish is not as good as I wanted, but the shape is nice and I am satisfied with my second bowl... Some good wax and a buffing should take care of the outside.... for some reason it came out duller than I thought it was on the lathe...

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 2:35 PM
Not only success, but a definite theme going on here with the inlays, Tom!! Nice job.

keith zimmerman
12-30-2004, 4:18 PM
Tom, I really like the shape of this bowl and the inlay around the rim...however, personally, I find the stone patch in the body to be quite distracting. I think the material used is what bothers me. I wonder if a different material would have been better to in this case. Perhaps something such as coffee grounds. The color of the stone just looks and feels out of place to me.

Please know that this is my opinion and we all know about opinions. :)

Keep up the good work on your bowls.

keith

Ray Dockrey
12-30-2004, 4:25 PM
Very nice tom. I am guessing that this is the bowl that you were power sanding. It came out looking real good.

Jim Ketron
12-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Nice job Tom!

you do nice work!
Jim

Darren Ford
12-31-2004, 5:37 PM
Tom, really nice. I'm with Keith on the patch, but I love the rim and the inside wood grain is very eye catching.

What exactly did you do differently on the outside, just not buff as much?

I just went back and read your line about it being your *second* bow. Incredible. You guys are discouraging me. I can't even turn a stick from a dowel.