PDA

View Full Version : Townsman saw?

steven c newman
11-23-2010, 7:29 PM
One of the handsaws I have for the shop. A disston Townsman. SS medallion and saw nuts. Still fairly sharp, and straight. handle is kind of plain. User?:confused:

Bill Houghton
11-23-2010, 7:59 PM
You might look on the Disstonian Institute website: http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

However, the model name sounds like a late, late model saw, long after the saws that people think are worth collecting and drooling over. I find myself wondering what the difference would be between a "Townsman" and a "Rancher," another Disston marketing name that signifies a late model saw. Size of teeth? Thickness of saw plate? Ability to shed manure and still cut? Availability of cupholders?

Sharpen it up and use it. If you find it's not a graceful saw (graceful being defined as a saw that leaves you smiling after you've used it), then reserve it for rough work like fixing your back fence (and, in the process, give it a chance to demonstrate that it's no effete townie that fades when the going gets tough and the manure starts flying).

Jim Koepke
11-23-2010, 8:21 PM
I bought my son a saw about 15 years ago that was a modern Disston. It does cut, but not as nice as one of the old ones.

Since he did not take it with him when he got older, it is now with my saws. Maybe when he gets out of the Air Force and wants a good saw I will give him one of my extra better saws.

I use it occasionally on junk wood.

jtk

George Sanders
11-24-2010, 7:51 AM
I have a Townsman. It cuts ok. Nothing like my 1917 period saws, but it does the job.