PDA

View Full Version : 21st Century Throwback Bench

Jeff Johnson
11-23-2010, 6:39 PM
Yup - another bench pics thread! :)

I liked the split-top design, but wanted more access under the bench, a deadman, and no bolts visible. Also wanted a better way to hold my tools than laying in hamster-bin trays. So, here she is. I went to an old-time tusk-wedged single stretcher configuration. The top is maple & walnut, 3" thick. The frame is maple, decking is some old oak barn boards that planed down much too pretty for a bench decking. Vice is leather-faced on the one side. Finish is danish oil.

The tool trays hold the 90-percenter tools, and can be removed and hung up on the wall when I need the bench real-estate.

I think that sometime in the next year, I'll add a Benchcrafted wagon vise, and maybe make a cabinet that the tool storage trays can be put into.

Height is 36" width 30", 93" long.

http://www.mathildegirlgenius.com/gallery/albums/Jeffs-Gallery/Workbench001.sized.jpg

http://www.mathildegirlgenius.com/gallery/albums/Jeffs-Gallery/Workbench004.sized.jpg

http://www.mathildegirlgenius.com/gallery/albums/Jeffs-Gallery/Workbench006.sized.jpg

Gary Hodgin
11-23-2010, 7:12 PM
Not a bench expert, but that looks like one really nice bench. Functional and beautiful. Great job!!

Steve Branam
11-23-2010, 7:54 PM
I like the walnut stripes. Very nifty tool tray, too!

Casey Gooding
11-23-2010, 7:55 PM
Beautiful!! Well done.

Tim Null
11-23-2010, 8:01 PM
Beautiful! I always see bench threads where people talk about functional vs aesthetic. Since this is a hobby and I am not getting paid, I like to make my tools, jigs and bench look good as well as function. Bravo for making a bench that is a joy to look at as well as being functional. Enjoy, as I know you will every time you walk into the shop.

Jim Koepke
11-23-2010, 8:17 PM
Hard to say anything other than beautiful.

jtk

Pat Barry
11-23-2010, 8:19 PM
That is really nice work. I love the contrast of the walnut and maple. How did you attach the top to the frame assembly? Have a picture of the underside you can share to show the detail?

Jeff Johnson
11-23-2010, 8:39 PM
That is really nice work. I love the contrast of the walnut and maple. How did you attach the top to the frame assembly? Have a picture of the underside you can share to show the detail?

3/8" lag screws, countersunk. I have nothing against bolts, just don't want to look at them. ;)

Andrae Covington
11-23-2010, 8:50 PM
Very nice.

...I went to an old-time tusk-wedged single stretcher configuration...

I did tusk tenons on mine as well. So far I've only had to whack-a-mole once or twice, and that was probably mostly the stress of moving the bench around.

Paul A. Clark
11-23-2010, 9:22 PM
Jeff, almost too nice to use. Have you got your first scratch or ding yet?
I too like your tool tray, very innovative. I usually have my tools taking up the real estate and the project at hand looking for some place to land.

Enjoy the new bench, I am sure it will serve you well.

Jeff Johnson
11-24-2010, 7:56 AM
Jeff, almost too nice to use. Have you got your first scratch or ding yet?
I too like your tool tray, very innovative. I usually have my tools taking up the real estate and the project at hand looking for some place to land.

Enjoy the new bench, I am sure it will serve you well.

Yeah, it took some damage when it was partially done. I was cutting a spice tray for a drawer on top of the worktop and went deep, and some chisel-marks... There's also a goof on the front-left dog-hole, from the bearing coming off of my 1/8" roundover bit. :mad:

Ah, well, it's a user, not a queen.

Terry Beadle
11-24-2010, 9:57 AM
Here you've scored both beauty and practicality. Those are hard goals to whip together for sure.

Beautiful bench and I'll bet beautiful to use.

Great job !

Color me green.

Johnny Kleso
11-25-2010, 2:29 AM
Beautiful, looks like you thought out a lot extras too...

Todd Hyman
11-25-2010, 9:55 AM
Beautiful bench Jeff.

Tony Shea
11-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Great bench Jeff, really like the looks and am sure the functionality is great.

I have to admit that I did notice that dog hole in front of your vise. I knew exactly why it was the way it was. This is due to experience. I had the same exact thing happen on my bench only it was about the third dog hole I was rounding over and the bearing came loose. Just thought it was funny you have the same mark that's on my bench.

Your bench is truely beautiful and should serve you a lifetime. I never get sick of seeing other's benches for some reason.

Bruce Page
11-25-2010, 3:03 PM
Extremely nice work!

Jeff Johnson
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I have to admit that I did notice that dog hole in front of your vise. I knew exactly why it was the way it was. This is due to experience. I had the same exact thing happen on my bench only it was about the third dog hole I was rounding over and the bearing came loose. Just thought it was funny you have the same mark that's on my bench.

On the plus side, neither of us will EVER forget to check bearings on router bits before using them! :)

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
11-29-2010, 3:30 PM
Jeff,

Really like your "version" of the bench. I too recently finished my 21st Century bench and thought of using contrasting woods in much the same way you did -- after seeing yours I wish I had!

I guess I can always remake the drawers and add a little color. I also like your addition of the tool slots and holes in the drawers -- great idea.

It's why we love this place . . . learn a little each time we log on!

Jeff H.

Pedder Petersen
11-29-2010, 3:45 PM
Most impressive! I like the removeable tool trays.

Cheers
Pedder

Zahid Naqvi
11-29-2010, 4:09 PM
the tool tray is a pretty nifty idea.

Kevin Grady
11-29-2010, 4:49 PM
Any chance you could post pictures of the underside construction? I'm in the planning stages and really like your design.

Thanks,
Kevin

Joe A Faulkner
11-29-2010, 9:54 PM
Outstanding Bench Jeff. Very well done. Thanks for posting it here.

John Piwaron
12-01-2012, 9:07 AM
I am way, way late to this party. To the OP - magnificent bench. Stupendous! It's build is much like the one I'm in the very early stages of planning/construction. Some of my hardware is here, some on the way.

I am also going to do a split top ala Benchcrafted, but your split top and the incredibly cool filler strip/tool tray is perfect! Consider the idea stolen. :) Plus - the through tenons with tusks. And *that's* how I found your posting. I really don't care for metal fasteners if I don't have to use them. I was wondering if tusk tenons were used in serious workbench construction. Your bench is a shining example of yes, they are. Another idea stolen. :)

Adam Petersen
12-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi, I'm also late to the party but that's very nice. I like the tool trays a lot too, I haven't seen that before. Looks like a great idea to hold a lot of tools within hands reach and protect the edges. How far underneath do the edges stick out. Are they covered somehow or do you just have to be careful reaching under there not to skewer your arm on a chisel? That's would be my only fear, but the way the bench looks and how many tools you have there it would be something I'd live with.

Andrae Covington
12-01-2012, 3:43 PM
...I was wondering if tusk tenons were used in serious workbench construction. Your bench is a shining example of yes, they are. Another idea stolen. :)

Just make sure you leave enough material around the wedge mortise in the tenon so your tenon doesn't blow out. The through mortises in the legs can be pretty loose; once the wedges are all knocked into place it will be rigid. Actually a little leeway in those mortises makes the bench easier to assemble if everything is not exactly plumb and square.

If possible, I think it is best to have a shoulder(s) on the stretcher to provide additional bearing surface for the wedge to push against from the opposite side of the leg. Especially if the mortise through the leg is not a piston fit, this helps prevent racking. You can see that Jeff's front stretcher is deeper than the through tenon, providing a shoulder on the bottom. My stretchers were two ~2x4's glued side by side, one long for the through tenon and one short for the shoulder.