PDA

View Full Version : Look what i found in the back of my truck ??

mike caruso
11-23-2010, 5:58 PM
Well after waiting almost 4 months for the Grizzly go698 to be delivered i decided that it was time to start turning again !!!! Machine was delivered to the back of my truck so i could back it down the hill to my shop. Took it apart in the back of the truck and brought it in the shop and reasembled in less than an hour really not that bad ! .Will wait till tomorrow to check it out i think i have enough blanks to play with.

Greg Ketell
11-23-2010, 6:04 PM
That is a funny looking Grizzly lathe!!

Congrats!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2010, 6:29 PM
Kinda looks like Jet white to me but.....I could be wrong....

Congrats!

Roger Chandler
11-23-2010, 6:32 PM
MIke,

Congrats on the new Jet. I'm sure you will like it. I hate that Grizzly is having a hard time getting shipments so they can get them out to those who ordered. The Grizzly G0698 really is a great lathe. Same features as your Jet.

What was the latest delivery date that Grizz tech support gave you?

Looking forward to seeing the projects coming off that new unit, and I hope you get many years of trouble free and satisfying turning!

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-23-2010, 6:34 PM
Congrats on the new lathe!

John Keeton
11-23-2010, 7:05 PM
Mike, looks like you will be "in the chips" by the weekend for sure!! Congrats, and looking forward to seeing some production.

James Combs
11-23-2010, 7:13 PM
Well after waiting almost 4 months for the Grizzly go698 to be delivered i decided that it was time to start turning again !!!! Machine was delivered to the back of my truck so i could back it down the hill to my shop. Took it apart in the back of the truck and brought it in the shop and reasembled in less than an hour really not that bad ! .Will wait till tomorrow to check it out i think i have enough blanks to play with.

Looks like you opted for the same Grizzly(Jet) that I did.:D

Bill Bolen
11-23-2010, 7:50 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. I'm anxious to see the first piece off of her!...Bill...

David E Keller
11-23-2010, 8:02 PM
Congrats... No one should have to wait four months for a lathe!

Baxter Smith
11-23-2010, 8:27 PM
Nice lathe. Is that the Grizzly Polar Bear Series?;)

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2010, 8:33 PM
Mike - congrats on your new lathe! Hope you love yours as much as I do mine! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2010, 9:06 PM
Congrats on the lathe.

Kurt Barker
11-23-2010, 9:17 PM
Congratulations!

There must be something in the New England water. My indulgence is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, and my garage and shop are quite full of blanks!

gary Zimmel
11-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Got to love new toys... Congrats on the new lathe Mike!

Mike Wilkins
11-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Nice new lathe-congrats. Also nice metal spinner in the background.

Michael James
11-23-2010, 11:07 PM
MIke, congrats on the new lathe! Have a blast......:D

btw, one of my wood connects tell me there is no such thing as "enough" wood to turn :cool: but it looks like you have sufficient to get started!

Jack Mincey
11-24-2010, 6:10 AM
A great looking lathe, should prove to do anything you need to do. I have one suggestion. I can't see you whole shop, but if you can position your lathe so that the tail stock end is pulled out from the wall far enough for you to stand at he end and hollow out you bowls with the tool handle against your side I think you will prefer it to reaching over the bed. I can hollow out a bowl with little effort when standing at the end with the tool handle against my side and use my body movement in place of my arm movement to control the cut. This is the main reason for the sliding head stock design.
Happy Turning,
Jack
Jack

Jim Burr
11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Wait a minute...that looks like my truck!!:eek::eek:

Kirk Miller
11-24-2010, 1:21 PM
Your making me jealous. I have a 1642 on order. My new house (with a 600sf attached shop) is almost done. No more shuffling stuff around to work on the lathe in the garage.

Roger Corder
11-24-2010, 4:34 PM
I just ordered the Grizzly G0698 and the lady taking the order said they will get them on December 3rd. I ask her if I would have it before Christmas and she said yes, they would start shipping to customers Dec 9th . we will see.

Roger

Roger Chandler
11-24-2010, 6:34 PM
I just ordered the Grizzly G0698 and the lady taking the order said they will get them on December 3rd. I ask her if I would have it before Christmas and she said yes, they would start shipping to customers Dec 9th . we will see.

Roger

Roger,

Congratulations on the G0698.......I have one, and I really like it. It has exceeded my expectations in some ways, and it compares in features and performance to the Jet 16/42, and has more capacity in swing and between centers.

I placed a review on the AAW site, with a new posting today regarding my experience with the unit over the last year. If you want to look at the last post I made in the thread, then you may like what I have to say.

If I can help you with anything regarding set up, the PM me, and I will be glad to give you what I know. I am glad to hear Grizzly is almost ready to ship......several have canceled because of the wait, but those who get the unit I think will be glad they did.

Rich Aldrich
11-24-2010, 8:23 PM
Congrats. I was going to order a Griz but the delievery was mostly what changed my mind. I had to get it while the iron was hot (before my wife realized what she agreed to).

I hauled mine in the same way, piece by piece. I am sure you will like it. I sure like mine.

Rick Robbins
11-25-2010, 9:42 AM
Have Fun with your new Toy. i have a Delta sitting collecting dust. i use midi lathes but but going to take classed at woodcraft in Seattle on bowl making and Hollow Form's. cant wait to see what you Turn. Rick:)

mike caruso
11-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Would you beleive that i just got an email from grizzly saying that my G0698 is ready for shipment To bad allready have one, but if you have one on order they are coming !!!

David Reed
11-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Looks like it was shipped via Washington as we have been in the deep freeze for a few days now and that Griz apparently frosted over.
David

Roger Chandler
11-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Those who did go ahead and wait for the G0698 are gonna love 'em when they get 'em!

philip labre
11-25-2010, 3:06 PM
I see while waiting for your Grizzly to ripen it turned white. Mine turned yellow. Congratulations!!

mike caruso
11-25-2010, 7:01 PM
Played a little today, My Mini maple HF waiting to finish my copy of the monster hollowing rig so i can finish the hollowing.
First impresion is this machine is so quiet and smooth i almost forget it's running.