PDA

View Full Version : Williams & Hussey Owners...

mickey cassiba
11-23-2010, 4:59 PM
I was just gifted the head unit from a W&H 209(I think). I'm looking for user feedback to help me decide whether to restore it as a moulder, or re-purpose what I have. The elevating action is really smooth, and the feedroll drive is solid.
It is missing a lot of parts, so it'll be an expensive rebuild. Is it worth it?
Mickey

Bruce Koch
11-23-2010, 5:46 PM
Mickey, I have a w h molder. It is a very good quality machine and I think it's worth putting some money in it. If you have questions just let me know. Did you get any cutters with it?

Bruce

mickey cassiba
11-23-2010, 6:07 PM
Nope, no knives. Not even a guard. I can make knives at work, but everything else (Motor, stand, etc. will have to be bought or fabbed).

Mark Bolton
11-23-2010, 9:14 PM
It would seem like it depends on your need for the machine. Just because you were given one doesnt mean you should sink money into something you may rarely use.

I would think the guard would be a pricey item and while you could fabricate something it is a pretty decent piece to have from the factory. After that the stand, motor assy., and so on. Like you say, it will be a healthy investment in time and dollars whether its bought or fab'd parts so it seem to me the decision becomes how much do you need, or would you use, it.

We use ours pretty regularly but we have a small library of knives and its a good compliment to our business.

Its definitely a nice gift for someone who could put it to use.

Mark

Chip Lindley
11-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Turn the tables on the Chinese and their cloning of American machines. See if any parts of Shop Fox's W1739 Moulder will fit your W&H. Afterall, SF mimmicked the W&H design with few deviations.

http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0488_m.pdf

mickey cassiba
11-24-2010, 4:30 AM
Turn the tables on the Chinese and their cloning of American machines. See if any parts of Shop Fox's W1739 Moulder will fit your W&H. Afterall, SF mimmicked the W&H design with few deviations.

http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/g0488_m.pdf

Really...that's something to look at. My company sells ShopFox. Could be a "Franken-moulder" in the making
Thanks

mickey cassiba
11-24-2010, 5:42 AM
It would seem like it depends on your need for the machine. Just because you were given one doesnt mean you should sink money into something you may rarely use.

I would think the guard would be a pricey item and while you could fabricate something it is a pretty decent piece to have from the factory. After that the stand, motor assy., and so on. Like you say, it will be a healthy investment in time and dollars whether its bought or fab'd parts so it seem to me the decision becomes how much do you need, or would you use, it.

We use ours pretty regularly but we have a small library of knives and its a good compliment to our business.

Its definitely a nice gift for someone who could put it to use.

Mark
Mark
As I am a machinist first and woodworker(quite the novice) second, I am anticipating this build from the mechanical aspect, a challenge, if you will. I don't envision myself producing a lot of moulding. Still it would be nice to have that capability should the need arise. Likely, if the build is successful, it'll be sold to someone that has the need. I just hate to see a working mechanism, incomplete as it is, being sold as scrap. I'll try to document the process, if it actually goes forward.
Mick

Bill ThompsonNM
11-24-2010, 5:54 AM
I bought mine 20 years ago with just the "head"
That used to be their low end unit. They're a nice machine-- I've used it for both molding and as a narrow planer that can hog off a lot if you need it.

I think it's probably not too hard to fabricate a lot of parts for it. They used to come with plans for a stand-- should be in the manual all of which are available on their web site. Have fun!

Mark Bolton
11-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Mark
As I am a machinist first and woodworker(quite the novice) second, I am anticipating this build from the mechanical aspect, a challenge, if you will. I don't envision myself producing a lot of moulding. Still it would be nice to have that capability should the need arise. Likely, if the build is successful, it'll be sold to someone that has the need. I just hate to see a working mechanism, incomplete as it is, being sold as scrap. I'll try to document the process, if it actually goes forward.
Mick

Well I would never sell it as scrap but was just making the point that there is always the option of keeping it and put it together when and if the need arises. Just my 0.02 as it pertains to me (not that this does) that if something is a fun project its fine to devalue your time to the negative column but I always try to decide whether it has a direct use. I have all kinds of equipment sitting around that could be rebuilt but deciding when its worth it is a different story.

Good luck, sounds like the shopfox deal is the key unless its a total fab job.

Mark