PDA

View Full Version : Nova Woodsurfer outside bowl toolrest

Michael Ginsberg
11-23-2010, 4:04 PM
I just bought a Nova Woodsurfer for my new Nova 1624xp. The cast iron top came completly painted. Have you all sanded or filed it to get rid of the painted surface where the tool rubs or just left it?
Thank you.

Joe Mioux
11-23-2010, 4:06 PM
I just bought a Nova Woodsurfer for my new Nova 1624xp. The cast iron top came completly painted. Have you all sanded or filed it to get rid of the painted surface where the tool rubs or just left it?
Thank you.

i would think the paint will rub off pretty quickly with use.

Steve Harder
11-23-2010, 7:58 PM
Michael - where did you buy the Woodsurfer?

Michael Ginsberg
11-23-2010, 8:46 PM
Bob at Woodworkerspecialties.com
He is a great guy. Easy to talk to, and very informative. I bought all my Nova chucks, jaws, outrigger, bed extension and all my other nova accessories.
His prices are better than woodcraft (even with the shipping from Canada)!!
Hope this helps.
Michael

Jack Mincey
11-24-2010, 6:00 AM
My oneway tool rest came painted as well. I sanded the paint off and shaped the top edge of my rest to a rounded edge. One of the first things I do when getting ready to turn every time is to inspect the top edge of the tool rest and check for nicks or rough spots. If either are there I file and sand the edge smooth. It helps you turning more than you would think.
Jack

Andrew Kertesz
11-24-2010, 6:52 AM
I looked on his website and could not find it. I scrolled through all the listings at his auction store and it wasn't listed.

Michael Ginsberg
11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Andrew,
I think you are right... I requested it of him on the phone. I saw the item on the Teknatool International site under lathe accessories. He is a full line Nova dealer.
If he does not have it (which I have not found as of yet) I am sure he can get it!
I hope this helps. Tell him I sent you....

Alan Trout
11-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I filed and sanded mine smooth. It works well for what it is but depending on the project it can be a little big.

Alan

Michael Ginsberg
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks Guys. Will file, sand and wax.