PDA

View Full Version : Tenon Saw

Lloyd Robins
12-30-2004, 1:36 PM
I got the purple heart for the trestle bench, and I have been working on it a little. The last purple heart that I worked with must have been wimpy, because this is a lot harder and more brittle. :( I have a few cuts and scratches from trying to get this stuff dimensioned. I have found that I am short a tool from continuing the project (the LOML always tells me that I am a few bricks short of a load, too). Anyway, I am trying to decide how to cut the tenons for the bases. I could try it on the bandsaw, or I could get a large tenon saw. I have a couple of Adrias that I love, but the rip one is an 8" dovetail saw, and I don't want to use it for other things, plus it doesn't have enough depth of cut. I could hunt for a Disston or get the Adria (both 14"), but those are both big specialized saw that won't see a lot of use. I could also try a Spehar 12" with a 3" depth or a Japanese Tatebiki. What advise? A new saw (which one?) or use the bandsaw (cheapest and probably quickest, but not neander.) :confused: As always, thanks for the advise and help.

Pam Niedermayer
12-30-2004, 1:49 PM
Since you have several options, why not continue with the bench project while you choose?

How deep are the tenons? I've cut lots of tenons with a rip dozuki and a ryoba, very seldom have had to go to the tatebiki. I used to cut tenons with a Tyzack back saw, with about 4-5" of depth before hitting the spine.

Pam

Steve Wargo
12-30-2004, 1:55 PM
Continue the project with what you have. The Band Saw. There is no need feel you have to do every task with a hand saw. If you order a saw, you'll end up waiting for it to arrive, and if you don't cut many large tenons then it won't get the use it should. That's time spent away from the wood. If it's any consolation, I do cut some larger tenons and purchased a LN Back saw (the largest one) and it works fine. I'd very much like to try an Adria saw one day. Hope this helps.

Jim Becker
12-30-2004, 2:34 PM
I agree with Pam and Steve...just use what you have and that would be the band saw. Unless, of course, you're immediate goal is to learn how to cut those big tenons by hand as an exercise for future projects...then you need to aquire the appropriate tool. Ching ching...

Me...the band saw for sure! (I touch it with my hands and then it's a hand tool??? ;)

Mark Singer
12-30-2004, 3:09 PM
I hate purple heart! I would use the bandsaw!

Keith Christopher
12-30-2004, 4:54 PM
I've had luck with purple heart with a router and jig, but I have to agree the bandsaw works well too.

Keith

Lloyd Robins
12-31-2004, 12:20 AM
Thank you for the replys. :)

Pam, the plans show through tenons, so they would need to be 2-3/4" long. I don't think that a ryoba would be deep enough without getting interference from the opposite teeth. How long is your Tyzack? :confused:

Steve, Jim, and Keith, I have a Jet 12" bandsaw (yes, I know that it is small) so the largest blade would be a 1/2". If I go with the bandsaw, how many teeth per inch? I have never had to use anything larger than 1/4" before. There is not much wood for resawing around here. :(

Mark, I love how purple heart looks, but I certainly am beginning to understand your feelings. It worked so easily when I made my mallet from it. I may modify my plans. :rolleyes:

Keith Christopher
12-31-2004, 4:22 AM
Thank you for the replys. :)

Steve, Jim, and Keith, I have a Jet 12" bandsaw (yes, I know that it is small) so the largest blade would be a 1/2". If I go with the bandsaw, how many teeth per inch? I have never had to use anything larger than 1/4" before. There is not much wood for resawing around here. :(

Lloyd,

3 TPI but be sure and learn the drift of your blade and adjust your fence accordingly or cut oversized and pare to fit. :)

Keith

Pam Niedermayer
12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Pam, the plans show through tenons, so they would need to be 2-3/4" long. I don't think that a ryoba would be deep enough without getting interference from the opposite teeth. How long is your Tyzack? :confused:

The Tyzack is 12" long by a bit more than 3.5" wide (that's not including the spine).

I think you'd be surprised if you measured some ryoba. For example, I have one that's more than 3.5" wide at it's narrowest, the cutting part of its blade is about 11" long. That said, it's not uncommon to have 2" wide ryoba. For 3/4" the opposite edge won't do much damage if any.

Pam

Roy Wall
01-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Like most everyone else has said - go with the band saw......

Leave the tenon proud and use a block / shoulder plane to trim smooth.