PDA

View Full Version : to crack or not to crack, that is the question

Roger Chandler
11-23-2010, 2:37 PM
A couple of weeks ago, my neighbor and fellow member of our turning club dropped off a cedar log in my yard. He asked me to turn something small for the person who gave us the cedar log [he got part of it as well]

I began a turned box and was intending to top it with a lid, but it cracked almost before my eyes, and I loaded that blank with a lot of CA glue, but it cracked anyway.

Today I went back to the same blank, and turned a bowl from what was left of it, and it did better. Nothing special here, but I found it interesting that cedar cracks if you look at it! The bowl is about 4-7/8" wide and 2-3/4 " tall.

I took a close up of the crack on the box, and I don't know if I will salvage it, or put it in the wood stove.

Roger Chandler
11-23-2010, 2:58 PM
for some reason the connection timed out on me before the servers at SMC would finish the upload. So I'll try to get a couple more......

Well, this time it said the connection was reset, and did not take the pics........I will try one more time...well, I got one, I think I will stop there.

bob svoboda
11-23-2010, 3:17 PM
Hope you can save it Roger. Pretty wood.

Dennis Ford
11-23-2010, 3:52 PM
Cedar is beautiful wood but as you said, it cracks if you look at it. Sometimes it cracks if you don't look at it.

Baxter Smith
11-23-2010, 4:17 PM
Beautiful wood. I have only turned Northern White and Atlantic White, both cooperated pretty well but are not nearly as striking!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2010, 4:18 PM
Both are nice pieces Roger. Hopefully they won't crack. I either use kiln dried or trees that are dead.

Roger Chandler
11-23-2010, 6:37 PM
Both are nice pieces Roger. Hopefully they won't crack. I either use kiln dried or trees that are dead.

Bernie,

This cedar log has been on the ground nearly 2 years. From what you and others told me a couple weeks ago, cedar is just so prone to cracking........I think you are probably correct about needing kiln dried in order to keep it from cracking.......

I am still going to get into the DNA soak probably in the spring........that may help a good bit.

James Combs
11-23-2010, 7:10 PM
I took a close up of the crack on the box, and I don't know if I will salvage it, or put it in the wood stove.

I am still keeping my eye on the little vase and the Bowl/saucer I turned a couple weeks ago... keep your fingers crossed, neither has cracked...yet.

Cody Colston
11-23-2010, 7:27 PM
ERC is very prone to cracking but I've also found that heat from sanding causes a lot of it. The better finish off the gouge, the less sanding and the better the chance of avoiding a crack.

Roger Chandler
11-23-2010, 7:58 PM
ERC is very prone to cracking but I've also found that heat from sanding causes a lot of it. The better finish off the gouge, the less sanding and the better the chance of avoiding a crack.

Thanks for the tip, Cody!

Roger Chandler
11-23-2010, 8:02 PM
I am still keeping my eye on the little vase and the Bowl/saucer I turned a couple weeks ago... keep your fingers crossed, neither has cracked...yet.

James,

sounds like you may get lucky with your cedar......as I remember they were nice........I hope this little bowl does as well as yours, as it goes to the person who gave the wood to my friend and myself.

Roger Chandler
11-24-2010, 8:57 PM
I meant to ask this question yesterday, but got distracted trying to get the pics to post.......

On the above cedar bowl I used wipe on poly, and it was high gloss, but the gloss did not come out on the bowl, more of a satin, even dull finish.

Any ideas why? Also, would buffing be in order, and if so, would you use all 3 buffing compounds? :confused::confused::confused:

Cody Colston
11-24-2010, 9:04 PM
I use gloss WOP a lot and I've found that the shine doesn't occur until after the third coat has been applied. Don't ask me why, but that's been my experience with it.

I would buff with all three compounds.

Leo Van Der Loo
11-24-2010, 9:16 PM
I meant to ask this question yesterday, but got distracted trying to get the pics to post.......

On the above cedar bowl I used wipe on poly, and it was high gloss, but the gloss did not come out on the bowl, more of a satin, even dull finish.

Any ideas why? Also, would buffing be in order, and if so, would you use all 3 buffing compounds? :confused::confused::confused:

Roger the oil in the Cedar plays havoc with any oil finish, it trips many up trying to get a nice shiny finish.

A shellac coating after wiping the piece down with a thinner should give you a good base to work from.

Roger Chandler
11-24-2010, 9:22 PM
Roger the oil in the Cedar plays havoc with any oil finish, it trips many up trying to get a nice shiny finish.

A shellac coating after wiping the piece down with a thinner should give you a good base to work from.

Well hello Leo! It is nice to see you back on the forum......seems like it has been a while.

Thank you for the tip about the shellac.......never thought of that one. Of course this log is the first time I have ever turned cedar, and I had no experience from which to draw a conclusion of any sort.

I will get some sealer [shellac] and try to wipe it down with thinner, and see what develops.

Looking forward to your next posting ;)